What type of duck + newbie ?'s

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jmgut48, Mar 21, 2012.

1. jmgut48

jmgut48 New Egg

Mar 21, 2012
    My husband gave in to the charms of our 8 YO old son and purchased a duckling this past weekend at a feed store. I'm sure its a common duck but how do I tell?

What type of bedding is good?

I called the feed store they have no idea what type she is but that she is brand new.

Right now "she" since I have no idea about its sex is living in our XL dog crate with a heat lamp, fresh water, food and the kids gave her a stuffed bear to snuggle with.

I've gotten 3 books from our local library and they are helpful but hearing it from experience is also a good idea.

Thanks
    Melissa[​IMG]

2. country_girl011

country_girl011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    ohio

that is a pekin. one of the big white ducks that most people think of when they hear duck.
    she would be much happier wiht a duck buddy .

for bedding. some people use old towels (make sure there are no loose threads or strings) and just wash and reuse them. some people use bubby pads. shavings, or wood pellets. it all really depends on personal preference.
    ducks are messy and will ALWAYS have their area wet.
    the only way to sex them is vent sexing. or wait until they are adults. males will get tail feathers that curl.
    what kind of food are you feeding her? just chick starter? if so she needs a niacin supplement, such as brewers yeast. sprinkled on her food.

3. jmgut48

jmgut48 New Egg

Mar 21, 2012
    a duck buddy...I don't want her unhappy but 2 [​IMG]... eeekkkk. Yes its a chick started its what they suggested at the feed store. I will add the brewers yeast to her food.

I'm using old dog towels now. I think I like the idea of shavings. I can compost it every few days.

Thanks for the quick reply. I really appreciate it.

Melissa

4. country_girl011

Aug 7, 2011
    ohio
    2 is no more mess than 1 lol.
    it wll make it easier on you.
    without a buddy she will cry constantly wanting someone to always be with her.

a good way to keep water mess in check is to take a bowl with a lid. cut a hole in the lid big enough for her to easily fit her head in it but not so big that she can play in it.

5. country_girl011

Aug 7, 2011
    ohio
    [​IMG]welcome to the world of ducks btw

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  6. Amy S

Amy S Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome jmgut48. [​IMG]

Cute little duckling. I agree that your duckling would be much happier with a buddy. Does the feed store have any more ducklings from the batch your husband picked from?

7. Amy S

Amy S Chillin' With My Peeps

Also, those huge rubbermaid bins work really well for mess, drafts, and safety. =D

8. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    Yes, as they've said. She will be a lot happier with a duck buddy. Last year, I had four eggs in my incubator, and only one hatched. She was Constantly trying to jump out of her brooder and wanted held every minute. I did have other ducklings, but they were WAY bigger than her. They were like 5x her size. Although, i did let her swim with them once. They just avoided her, and she liked it until I raised the water level a little bit, and she got scared.
    Anyways, for bedding, I just use straw. I have used wood shavings before, but I found that it was WAY less expensive then shaving, and worked just a s well. Duck are VERY messy. It doesn't seem to matter what type of waterer I have used, they have gotten it ALL OVER.
    Good Luck :D

9. clbarley

clbarley Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Clatskanie, Oregon
    Just my $.02 but I have two ducklings and yeah even is their was one it would make the same mess. Ducks get lonely if their is only one, just imagine how you would feel if you were alone in the world. And really even when they are adults two isnt that bad I have had chickens and it isnt like you have to make a huge area just because you have too. Ducks are awesome to have and you will get very attached soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by