1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What type of duck?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Macleant, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Macleant

Macleant Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2015
    Hi there. I was wondering if someone could tell me what type of duck this is and if it's male or female? Was sold to us as an Indian runner along with our other two but definitely not a runner. Very sweet disposition and is all black with a green sheen.
    [​IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm sorry I don't know anything about ducks. But, you can post on the "Duck thread," and ask experienced duck folks your questions. Welcome to Backyard chickens.

3. H J Chickens

H J Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2015
    My guess would be a male Cayuga duck :)

4. season1223

season1223 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2015
    Tennessee
    I only have one duck and am not all that experienced either but right b4 my duck started laying eggs i wanted to know if she was a male or female and had my son catch her to see if i could tell...when he caught her he grabbed the back of her neck (not real hard) and she dropped to her chest and threw her bottom up in the air...clear sign she was a female! If u notice him trying to grab the back of the neck of other ducks or even chickens, its a good sign its a male! In most birds too the colors r much more vivid on males! U should definitely ask in the duck thread tho...there's lots of more experienced duck ppl there!

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  7. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Sorry, I don't know much about ducks. I just wanted to say welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by