What type of Easter Eggers do I have?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by itsy, Jun 11, 2011.

1. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Our two EE's look very different in color. What are the two types we have here? (For those who are not familiar with EE's, they're the pullets on top and middle. The one to the left is a Jersey Giant and the one to the right is a Barred Rock) Thanks for your help!

[​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Not sure what you mean. There are no "types" of Easter Eggers, just Easter Eggers. There are no specific color names. The one with the blue shot through her feathers is very pretty.

3. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    You have the good types. [​IMG]

4. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Aw, shucks. [​IMG] And here I thought there'd be names for their colors.

Like... Barred Rock, Partridge Rock....White Rock... Etc [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Nope, sorry, they're just EEs that come in fun mixed up colors like their mixed up genetics. [​IMG] Have fun with them!

6. Moxiechick

Moxiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
    By "types", do you mean color?

I believe I have seen the color of the bottom one mentioned as "partridge" or "black patterned gold duckwing". I don't know if there is a standardized name for the top one or not. Blue laced red with incomplete lacing? Genes can express themselves in so many ways, depending on the combinations. Easter eggers can carry many different genes, so the phenotypes, or resulting looks, can vary by quite a bit. I'm very new to chicken genetics though, so I hope someone with more knowledge will be able to better answer your question. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by