What type of feeder and waterer to get?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by yanks26, Mar 28, 2009.

1. yanks26

yanks26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Connecticut
    I only have about 10 chicks and wanted to know if those 1 gallon waterers with the snap on base work just fine?

Also, would one of those feeders with a bunch of little holes around the circle suffice as well?

Suggestions?

2. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    will be fine...

3. elliemay0305

elliemay0305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    sounds good but get a small lip waterer. that way they dont get wet and chill or maybe even drown

4. Chicken Rustler

Chicken Rustler Grabs em n runs

We are also new and started with the 1 gal waterer it seems to work fine but after about a week or so I noticed that they were kicking a lot of shavings in the trough so I put it up on a piece of 2by and that really helped keep it cleaner.

5. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    I put mine on a brick so they cant kick bedding into it. Try also putting plastic or glass marbles or rocks into it. Better be safe then sorry when it comes to a baby drowning.

6. yanks26

Jan 9, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Wont a brick make it too high for them to reach?

7. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    You will probably need to get bigger feeders in a couple weeks to keep up with them, but for chicks that is fine. and as for the brick, put the brick directly on the bottom of the brooder, and put the bedding up next to it, but not as high as the brick. You just need something to elevate it a little so that they can't kick it into the waterer.

8. yanks26

Jan 9, 2009
    Connecticut
    Ya I only plan on raising them a few days until they are sold. This is just a backup plan incase I cant have arrangements for them all to be sold upon hatching.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by