What type of flock is a Jersey Giant Rooster appropriate for?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Nixon's Chicks, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Nixon's Chicks

Nixon's Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2010
    Western Mass
    As time goes on, we're finding that it is more likely that one of our Jersey Giant girls is actually a guy.
    So my question is, what type of flock is a Jersey Giant Rooster appropriate for?
    We have a total of 11 chickens including Red Stars, Barred Rocks, Wyandottes and Jersey Giants.
    I've read a few posts where people have needed to re-home their Jersey Rooster because he was injuring some of the chickens.
    As our birds are on the larger size, I'm wondering if we would be okay with a Jersey Rooster, or if we should start scoping out another home.
    Any advice or experiences would be most appreciated!!

Thanks!!

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Anything BIG. (Large Fowl) Poor little bantams would get squished. I would think the breeds you listed would be able to handle him.

3. Nixon's Chicks

Nixon's Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2010
    Western Mass
    Thanks very much!
    We're still hoping she ends up a girl, but good to know it shouldn't be an issue if she's a he.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I have a 4 Barred Rock hens, 2 of which are about 8.5 pounds. My JG rooster is 1 year old and towers over the big BR hens. He has free range in the front and side yards, but a fence seperates him from all the hens in the backyard. There's no doubt there would be injuries if I let him stay with the hens. Other than that, he's a good roo and will be here for a long time to come.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by