what type of food to feed my scovies?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by adorable, Jan 14, 2010.

1. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    THese guys were hatched in the spring.So they are about 8 months old.Give or take....I was giving them chick grower in a pellet form. But because it is bad. I have to change their food. To what.?Can i give them mixed grain from a farmer.It has corn. oats and another grain. Cant remember right now. OR do i go a different food. How about laying mash. ?NOt to sure what to get this time.

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I feed mine layer crumbles, although I want to switch my hens over to a home made scratch type feed this spring., so the ducks would have to be switched over too. So I'll be following this to see what others say.

3. allanimals21

allanimals21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    I feed mine a duck and goose finisher pellet. They were all hatched last spring I guess. I got them they were full grown pretty much. Although they still like the corn and cat food better. [​IMG]

4. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    mine are 3 months as of yesterday and they are on layer pellets. both my male and female. i was told it's okay for them to be on the same feed which is good cuz i can't afford to buy 2 separate bags of food lol. these little tubbies ate a 50 pound bag in a month [​IMG]

5. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    mine will not eat pellets. THey like the laying mash from the chickens. and scratch. And dont forget the bread. That is their favorite. So i guess it is ok for what i am giving them right now.[​IMG]

6. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    i have read on many sites that bread is really bad for their health it's like junk food. try cheerios. mine like those too if they are soggy in water. but i would refrain from bread

7. MDC

MDC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    KS
    Bread & Cheerios both are things you want to feed in moderation, as treats. Neither is worth much in a ration. The reason bread is bad is because it's devoid of nutrients because it's been so highly processed which is the exact same thing that happens when making most cereal.

Muscovy, unlike most other domestics, really do better when they're fed an animal protein in addition to a grain and vit/min type feed. My typical ration consists of a mix of oats/corn/milo/wheat and black oil sunflower seeds and a poultry concentrate that has a pork base as opposed to soy. They also get to eat all the greens / insects they can during the summer and have access to alfalfa during the winter usually. Grain is good but by itself won't provide as much protein as they need to thrive. Yes, they can live on it but it's not an ideal ration.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by