what type of grass to plant for goat pasture?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bassfishrman, Feb 12, 2009.

1. bassfishrman

bassfishrman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2007
    I live in south Alabama and would like to know what others plant for the warm season pasture for goats. I will be planting a small area for 2 goats (approximately 1/2 acre).

Currently, I have wheat and rye mixture from the winter planted.

Any suggestions?

2. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Fiasco Farms has a recommendation of pasture grass mix on their site. I would expect they'd like more variety to browse such as clovers, etc. in the mix.

3. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Er...do they sell weed seed mix? [​IMG] What about pricker bush seed mix? [​IMG] Oooh oooh I know...poison ivy seed!

Really goats don't graze like sheep, cows and horses. I would say, though, that timothy, oat, rye, and burmuda would be good choices for any pasture. Avoid fescue unless its endophyte free.

4. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] so true! Mine love ragweed, lambs quarter, orchard leaves, morning glory.

5. BeardedChick

Kate, can they safely eat rose bush prunings from my no-spray garden? I've heard they like multiflora rose.

6. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Goats LOVE roses, and they're safe.

7. ThornyRidge

ThornyRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    grass..yeah hahhahahah my goats and grass = [​IMG] anyway I planted a plain old pasture blend.. good hearty grass and well I have to take the tractor in at least 3-4 times in the summer/fall and mow the pasture.. I raise nigerians and they don't eat grass infact totally snub their noses at it and will eat any leaf and or blackberry/multiflora rose briars that come/grow into the pasture but grass no way.. in fact forget plain old grass hay too.. The pasture blend I got was from my local grain mill and it was a good fast grower and came in good except where they have worn their paths around the pasture..

8. griffin45

griffin45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    South Central Virgina
    If you want to see some real entertainment throw a few pine boughs in with them. I had a 15 goat stampede last week! Just don't plant any trees that you like where the goats can get at them. It is mostly true that goats will eat anything. The thing about goats is that they eat what they like the best and save what they like the least for last! The less you make them eat off the ground the less you have to worm the poor critters!

Chris

9. BeardedChick

Quote:Cool - we end up with a lot of coarse stuff like that, not really suitable for the compost pile... It will be nice if the goats can compost it for us. And then I can feed the goat droppings to the roses.

PERFECT!

10. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Your best bet might be to disc it lightly and see what comes up on its own.
    Goats LOVE weeds, and whatever comes up will be better than anything you could plant

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by