What type of hardware cloth for run?

Devorah

Songster
Feb 28, 2022
Leyden, Massachusetts
I plan on reinforcing the run/coop I inherited by installing 1/4 “ hardware cloth around the run (it already has chicken wire, but definitely needs something stronger with smaller holes). What gauge hardware cloth would you recommend?

I would probably go with a welded wire fence for fighting back the bigger stuff and just making sure that the chicken wire goes a bit into the ground to combat the burrowers (making a "skirt" around the area underground). Unfortunately, there's not much you can do to physically hold back a hungry bear, but motion sensor lights might spook them off.

I would probably go with a welded wire fence for fighting back the bigger stuff and just making sure that the chicken wire goes a bit into the ground to combat the burrowers (making a "skirt" around the area underground). Unfortunately, there's not much you can do to physically hold back a hungry bear, but motion sensor lights might spook them off.
Thanks! The motion sensor lights are already on the list as well as a scarecrow in a smelly shirt and Mick Jagger streaming. :)
Half-inch hardware cloth will do for just about everything except cock roaches. I didn't know it came in different gauges. The thickness and quality of the galvanizing does vary by price and manufacturer.
Thanks! I appreciate your answer!

Back
Top Bottom