What type of hawk?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Mattemma, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I am pretty sure the 2-8 hawks in our area look like the one in the photo_Old video cam but all I have with a zoom.Can anyone tell me what type of hawk it is? It used to just fly over us,but now it watches the coop when I go to let the hens out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mattemma

Aug 12, 2009
  3. Mattemma

Aug 12, 2009
    Here is another picture I found of a hawk in my yard.Looks bigger than the other one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    Where are you located?

5. lilcrow

lilcrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    New Vienna, Ohio
    Where are you, and how long has it been hanging around? Is it possible that it's a juvenile or are you sure it's an adult? Have you ever seen it in the company of another hawk? Have you ever seen it catch anything? Does it catch on the ground or flying. Sounds like it's hunting on the ground since it's watching your coop, but you can't be certain.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  6. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    This looks similar to the hawk that has been visiting me. It landed on my fence and I got the below pic. In this pic it doesn't look very big but the other morning DH heard a cry and ran to the door. At the sound of the sliding glass door opening, it took off (was IN the yard) and he said it was a very big bird. I talked to a Hawk Expert in town and he thought it was a Coopers Hawk.
    [​IMG]

7. lilcrow

lilcrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    New Vienna, Ohio
    Quote:My vote is on a juvenile Red-shouldered, they are a huge bird, plus it's the right time of the year to be seeing juveniles. You're right on the outside border of the Red-shouldered's territory. Coopers Hawk has more of a tawny cast to them, but it's so hard to tell in pics.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  8. bonnylass79

bonnylass79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    Central Florida
    It will depend on where you are located as certain types are only seen in certain parts of the country. It looks like a young bird to me, so his coloring may not be fully developed. It would also help to see him in flight to see the shape of his tail and wings. All that being said, I think he looks like a prairie falcon.

9. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I know we're seeing alot of Coopers hawks in our area. And Sparrow hawks too. It could be a variation of one of those types. IF so, your adults should have nothing to worry about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by