what type of hen lays dark brown or dark speckled eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tinamommy727, Aug 12, 2013.

1. tinamommy727

tinamommy727 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    Hi, I have a flock of 13 hens and they all lay a rainbow of eggs that are absolutely beautiful. I did have one mutt chicken that laid a very dark brown to a dark speckled kind of egg. They literally looked like little jewels they were so pretty! So I am on the hunt for a type of chicken that lays those type of eggs. Any advice to what I should be looking for? Unfortunately she was too curious and literally climbed my fence and got ate by the neighbors dog. So a new fence and the chickens wings being clipped, will ensure that won't happen again hopefully. Thanks everyone for your help!

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

I think you might be looking for Black Copper Marans, they lay very dark brown eggs.

3. LAYINGCHICKENZ4

LAYINGCHICKENZ4 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2013
    Maran chickens

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Welsummers can lay eggs like that, but depends on the Welsummer.

5. poultrylubber

poultrylubber Chillin' With My Peeps

French Copper Marans lay very dark eggs. I have Cuckoo Marans but their eggs aren't that dark.

6. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

I know the answer. Your mutt chicken lays a dark speckled egg. :)

Do you have a picture of the hen? That might give some clue as to the ancestry of the hen.

1 person likes this.
  7. tinamommy727

tinamommy727 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    Thanks everyone!

8. rojororeo

rojororeo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Can I add in a question that is related?
    If a chicken lays a speckled egg- will she *always* lay a speckled one?
    In a group of five chickens, I can get 3-4 eggs per day, but I only get speckled about 1-2x per week, so I assume that she isn't always laying speckled ones.
    They are 3 EE-mixes, 1 BR, 1 unknown black (possibly Australorp?/cross?).One of my EE's is either part partridge Rock, or now that you mention it, part Welsummer. The egg in question is a normal light brown-pinkish color, with very distinct speckles all over it.

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

No my Buff Orps sometimes lay speckled eggs and sometimes not.

10. rojororeo

rojororeo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Good to know! I was fairly certain I was correct that speckles can come and go, but as I haven't matched all layers to their eggs, I didn't know if someone was slacking off with only 1 or 2 eggs per week! :)
    Thanks! My BOs def don't lay speckled! Too bad.. :) Maybe later tho... they are just starting...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by