what type of hens get broody real easy?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nicoletm24, Aug 19, 2010.

1. nicoletm24

nicoletm24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    I'd like to know if there is a certain type of hen that will more likely want to set on eggs? we have a bunch of older hens, but none will ever set. so, i'm curious on what I can do to help my younger hens i'm raising to get into the mood [​IMG]

2. leahthor

leahthor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    Northwestern Alberta
    I don't have any but I heard that Silkies are amazing broodies that seem happiest when they have eggs to set or chicks to brood.

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Silkies are the best broodies there are! [​IMG]
    Also Cochin Bantams are just as broody as Silkies! Believe me I know! I had 2 cochin hens sit on 20 eggs and hatch everyone of them out and only 1 died! [​IMG]

4. nicoletm24

nicoletm24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Silkies are the best broodies there are! [​IMG]
    Also Cochin Bantams are just as broody as Silkies! Believe me I know! I had 2 cochin hens sit on 20 eggs and hatch everyone of them out and only 1 died! [​IMG]

ohh...I have 1 Buff Cochin Bantam [​IMG] maybe shen she gets a bit older, she'll do good [​IMG] me and my fiance REALLY want some Silkie eggs to hatch out....just trying to find someone local that has them...I hate trying to do shipped eggs..​

5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Another vote for silkies - do not have them myself, but have read/heard they are mothering machines.

The other one is Cochins! Honest, right now I have 5 hens broody - all are cochins (4 bantam and 1 large fowl). I have a bantam Cochin named Ruby who goes broody 4, yes 4 times a year minimum - if she can sqeeze 5 clutches in a year she will give it her best shot.

6. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Nicole

We started out with Red Stars then got as day old chicks some Delawares, White Jersey Giants, EE, Barred Rocks, 1 White Leghorn (was a trade for mean butt RIR rooster) and in June bought 6 Buff Orpingtons. Ok so my first broody was last year and she is a Red Star (yep they do not normally go broody but she did last year and is setting now) My WJG have all gone broody and hatched out babies, one loved it so much she has done it 2 time once in spring and now has 1 more baby. Have one Delaware gone broody in June and finally gave it up after 2 months ( she would only set on eggs inside the coop, if I moved her she got up) I have one EE sitting now. She is actually sharing the nest with my Red Star. actually funny to see 2 hens steal eggs from the other and then the other steal them back. lol. also have my last or next to last WJG sitting now as well. then last week noticed my little leghorn Jill was outside in the morning and had closed them up at night, she has gotten under one of the coops and had a stockpile of eggs. I pulled out 11 and she still has at least 6 eggs under her. ( and out of the 11 only 2 were not viable)

Next year my Buff Orp should go broody, along with the WJG, Delaware and the EE, and Leghorn.

I would look up and see what breeds that go broody and which ones don't. If you are buying new chicks and you want broody hens then search the breed to see if you have them or find ones to hatch out eggs.

Good Luck!

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:ohh...I have 1 Buff Cochin Bantam [​IMG] maybe shen she gets a bit older, she'll do good [​IMG] me and my fiance REALLY want some Silkie eggs to hatch out....just trying to find someone local that has them...I hate trying to do shipped eggs..

Had a Buff and a White Cochin bantams and right after they got done raising those babies both of them went broody again on 20 ++ eggs and then a coon got them right off the nest! [​IMG]
    Miss my cochins! [​IMG]

8. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

Buff Orpingtons are AMAZING mothers!! I've had 2 unsuccessful one so far, but they tried to brood in February. [​IMG] 4 successful ones so far! [​IMG]

9. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Nearly all my brahmas have gone broody at some point this year.

10. basketballndl

basketballndl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2010
    Silkie. My silkie is very hostile and will sit on anything. Even an empty nest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by