What type of latch is best?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by hollyclyff, May 31, 2007.

1. hollyclyff

hollyclyff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    NC
    We are, hopefully, finishing up our coop this weekend and I need to buy latches for the doors. I keep reading that raccoons can open certain kinds of latches, but I can't seem to find where anyone says what those kinds are. And more importantly - what kind can they generally *not* open - aside from padlocks obviously? Thanks.

2. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    I have a slide latch (not hook) it slides into a hole in the door. Its hard for me to open so no coon could do it. [​IMG]

3. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Best luck I had was one of those hook and eye ones that has the safety spring on it. The only drawback is you have to take your gloves off in the winter to manipulate the thing.

4. hollyclyff

May 18, 2007
    NC
    schmoo - I can't picture the type of latch you're talking about working on the type of doors I have. Maybe I don't understand, but I don't think I can have it so it goes through a hole in the door.

chickbea - I use that type of latch on my turtle pen and haven't had anything get in there yet, but I thought maybe chickens would be a bigger motivator. If that type works, I like it. They're inexpensive and easy for humans to use and will work on my doors. It doesn't usually get cold enough here to need gloves, so that's not a problem.

Thanks.

5. schmoo

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    I took a picture of our lock -now if I could get it uploaded that would help. Grrrrr my dial-up is not helping. I guess it's worth it to live in the country...........I'll keep trying

6. schmoo

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    finally heres mine......it slides into a hole in the doorframe

[​IMG]

7. hollyclyff

May 18, 2007
    NC
    Thanks for the picture schmoo. That would work for the main pen door, but not for the other doors (feed, water and egg access doors) But I haven't seen that exact sort at any hardware store around here. The ones I've seen slide through a "hole" attached on the outside of the door frame - I think they're called slide bolt latches? They look like they would be easy to manipulate for a raccoon.

8. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    I have slide bolts that go over a loop. I put padlocks on them, and hang the key beside it. Hopefully, a raccoon is not smart enough to insert a key into a lock and turn it, but I am not too sure.

9. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

I have padlocks on all of mine. I don't think there is any other kind that a racoon couldn't figure out. If you can manipulate it they can too!

The only thing you could do is put it up high where they can't reach it, but that doesn't work on the little chicken doors. [​IMG]

10. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    I got hook and eye latches, then I bought a set of cheap locks that all use the same key.
    I got 6 locks and 6 keys in the package at walmart for about 10 bucks. Means I can loose 5 keys and still be able to open all 6 locks, thats good for me, I loose my keys alot. haha
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by