What type of light source???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by (sub)UrbanCoop, Nov 25, 2012.

1. (sub)UrbanCoop

(sub)UrbanCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2012
    City of Five Flags
    This is my first winter with pullets/hens and wanted to add an additional source of heat/daylight hours for them in their hen house.

I live in NorthWest Florida and while it is cool, it is not freezing cold. We may get a week to ten days of freezing temps (at night) scattered throughout the winter, but that is about it.

I have run a porcelain socket into the coop and have it set on a timer, but was wondering what is the best kind of bulb to use.

Thanks for the info in advance.

2. kagross

kagross Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2012
    I would think something like a 17w daylight compact fluorescent bulb would be fine. Unless you want to spring for a fancy LED bulb (still kinda pricey). I'm not sure if the new LED bulbs produce a nice daylight color or not, but you would use less electricity. By the way, it's like 57 in Tampa right now, and 21 here in PA, so "cool" at night is a little eggsaggerated (pun?). It's florida, chickens will be fine for warmth, I would not worry about them being cold at all, ever, in FL. Just adequate ventilation.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  3. (sub)UrbanCoop

(sub)UrbanCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2012
    City of Five Flags
    Hehe! Tampa is in the "south"... I'm almost to Alabama, so it does get a little more brisk up here as compared to Tampa. As far as ventilation.. I did overkill on my coop when I built it. If I can ever figure out how to post the photos I'd love to show it off.

Thanks for the tip on the bulb. Will run out to Lowe's tomorrow to pick one up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by