What type of Marans are these?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sega, Jan 24, 2012.

1. sega

sega Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2010
    Ludowici, GA.
    Hatched these chickens and they are suppose to be FBCM's but they sure do not look like they are. What are they? Also, are they hens? They look like they are hens but the color is so messed up I am not sure.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Hi! They are both cockerels and sometimes Marans come out looking like this... I am sure they have Wheaten Marans crossed into them or Wheatens Marans have been in their genetic background somewhere. If you are looking for just dark egg layers for an eating egg flock then there is no problem keeping and using these roosters, but if you are looking into showing them and breeding they would not be the best choice of cockerels to use in a breeding program, they will continue to throw offspring that look like this which is not considered "the standard" for this breed. Which ever way you go with your birds enjoy them they are tons of fun and Marans have great personalities and are pretty darn friendly and their eggs are beautiful!

[​IMG]

3. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Yep cockerels and I also think there is wheaten in there. Sometimes you get a wheaten from an FBCM egg. I got one once from some shipped eggs. Matter of fact I ended up with a pair.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    [​IMG] Those look like my Marans mutts. Mine are BC x Laced other breeds, and, well, look like that black male with the spangling on his breast.

Whatever mutts those are, someone didn't just use Wheaten, they used a bird carrying Columbian genes as well as possible pattern/laced genes.

5. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    The one on the right is what my Game x Marans cockerels look like.

6. sega

sega Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2010
    Ludowici, GA.
    When I first hatched the 18 eggs I purchased to start my Maran flock there was one egg that hatched out a beautiful Wheaten Maran Hen. I sold her. I guess the breeders I have left must still have some Wheaten in them. Will be selling them too. Really Do not want Wheaten Marans, was wanting FBCM's only. Guess I will be starting all over again with the MARANS. Thanks for the comments.

7. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto

Same thing happened my first time with them. Then I found my Davis flock and my husband drove me out and bought them for me. I do like the wheatens too, but the FBCMs are my favorites and I want to build my own birds up with some of my inprint in them. Maybe later I'll add wheatties again, but have enough breeds and varieties to work with right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by