What type of marans roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by flowerchild59, Dec 30, 2012.

1. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am pretty sure one of these guys is a BC marans but the other on has so much "red" on him that I don't know what to call him. He was out of a blue marans roo that I don't have any more. What do you think? The other one is (I assume) a blue splash marans. These are all really nice, big roos with great, calm personalities. The middle one, the BC marans is the smallest. The splash seems to be the more dominant of the three. I need to rehome a couple of them or we are having them for dinner. These birds were all born last april. I will be culling them down to one, one way or another real soon.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  2. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

the first is a blue copper marans, the middle is a black copper, and the last is either a splash, or splash copper marans. beautiful birds!!!

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That first one just has too much red leakage on the wing, that's whats throwing you off. He should be colored like the middle bird, all that red is undesirable for showing or serious breeding.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Those are some beautiful birds!! I wish I had them!

5. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    Thyose are some of the most beautiful; roosters i have ever seen. they look so tough and manly! !st is Blue copper maran, second is black copper, and third is blue/splash :)

6. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    Here is another pic of the BC marans rooster. Is he worth keeping or more suitable for the stewpot? I really like the coloring of the blue splash better, but all I have left is a few BC marans hens. So I don't know what to do with these boys.
    [​IMG]

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    heres a blk copper from greenfire
    [​IMG]
    a blue copper
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    a blk copper
    [​IMG]

8. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    A splash roo over the BC hens would make all blue babies, wouldn't they? I don't know enough to evaluate him for breeding quality but I think he's gorgeous.

9. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    The first roo is a blue copper roo......he has great coloring! Do you have more photos of him, maybe in a natural stance while out running around. The second one photo'd appears to look like a black copper....is he from the same parents of the other 2 roos? The third roo photo'd is a Splash Copper. What are your goals with the Marans? Are you going to be breeding them for pretty eggs, showing or just a hobby?

10. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State

Yes, Splash crossed over Black or visa versa will produce 100% blue offspring, the only exception to this is if the thought to be black copper is truly a very dark blue that appears black..... if splash and blue chicks are produced then the bird/s thought to have been black are truly blue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by