1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What type of pine shavings should I be looking for? Big chips or 'shavings'?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by xpchick, Feb 12, 2016.

1. xpchick

xpchick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2016
    NY
    Big sale at the local farm store tomorrow on shavings, but it seems to be only the 'shavings', not the thin chips. What type of shavings size is better for their health and for clean up? Which of these sizes is best? I think what they have on sale is like photos 1 and 2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I like the large flakes better, less dusty and don't break down as quick.

3. xpchick

Jan 12, 2016
    NY
    Thank you. The woman at the feed store said I shouldn't use the more shredded stuff, but she didn't know why. I've googled but couldn't really find an answer so feedback is appreciated! It's going to be -25 with the windchill here tomorrow. If I don't need to run out to get this on sale, I'm staying home! lol

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  4. Mawmawgale

Mawmawgale Just Hatched

Jun 15, 2014
    I like the large, have used both. The chickens do no care..personal preference

5. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio

Ditto

6. xpchick

Jan 12, 2016
    NY
    Great, thank you! I think I'll grab a little of the shaved, and get more of the flakes. They have another brand on sale that is flakes.

7. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I buy whatever is available at the time, for the best price. Any size will work. Mary

8. xpchick

Jan 12, 2016
    NY
    I ended up purchasing some bags of Pestell softwood shavings. Hopefully those will work out well. They were a bit more of a flake than the other shavings they had for sale. Neither store I went to had any actual flakes for sale. One store said a company that previously made them had a fire?

Thanks for the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by