what type of plants for a free range flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by elijahboy, Aug 9, 2009.

1. elijahboy

elijahboy Songster

Jul 29, 2009
    goose creek sc
    i have about 3 acres and my chickens are going to free range but i would like to plant some things that i can have scattered around the yard

like flowers, fruits, weeds and so forth can you give me ideas what plants would be best and easy to grow in hot weather

ones that they just love

and there are alot of cacti in the yard is that toxic to chickens

thanks for any help

2. elijahboy

elijahboy Songster

Jul 29, 2009
    goose creek sc
    i have heard that they love clover and the house in the city that i have has clover all over it however last year i put a chemical in the ground to kill all of it cause i hated it

could i transplant some of it or will that be harmful like i said it was done last year

thanks for any input

3. mamaKate

mamaKate Songster

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    You're probably better off to just sow clover seed in Sept. As for the other plants, I'm not sure what could go in this late. Mulberries are fun; actually any berry plant is appreciated. You might also plant an oat/sunflower patch in the spring.

4. elijahboy

elijahboy Songster

Jul 29, 2009
    goose creek sc
    well i am making a plan for this coming spring just getting some ideas ahead of time i really didnt think i could plant anything right now but i can plant that now

5. wombat

wombat Songster

Jun 23, 2009
    They don't ask for much to be happy.

Clover is great. You can also plant small patches of any sort of grain, inexpensive cover crops are fine. We use cover grasses in our gardens outside the gardening season. You could plant cover grasses starting in about Sept, depending on where you live.

We have a long row of pine, and they absolutely LOVE to dig through the accumulated pine needles on the ground hunting for bugs. They spend most of their time in the shade under the pine trees bug-hunting.

We also have currant bushes planted within range of their coop, and we heavily mulch these with lawn clippings. They steal a berry from time to time, but they'd much rather dig through the mulch for bugs. We also have a big patch of forsythia, which is of no use to chickens, except that it collects lots of dead leaves. We dump leaves in the patch for mulch, and the chickens dig through the leaves for bugs.

They also like any tall grass that's been left growing along fences. You could just let small patches of grass grow tall and go to seed, and they'll eat the seed, the grass, and all the insects hiding in the grass patch.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  6. elijahboy

elijahboy Songster

Jul 29, 2009
    goose creek sc
    Quote:how about the cactus all over the yard is that toxic i heard that if your stuck in the dessert that people can eat them but how about chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: