1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What Type of Predator Poop is This?? (Pics)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Little Byrd, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Little Byrd

Little Byrd Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2015
    Georgia
    Hi, a predator must have come around my ducks' pen last night, because this morning I found fresh poop right outside the pen (thankfully not INside the pen).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It reminds me of the poop from the chihuahua I used to have. So maybe it's a predator around 7 pounds like my chihuahua. My entire yard is fenced, so it must be something that can climb. I suspect it may be a raccoon, possum, or a cat- I've seen them all near or in my neighborhood. Hopefully, it's not a raccoon :(.

2. potato chip

potato chip Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Cats will usually poo in soft dirt, and cover it over, rather than leave it on vegetation like that. It does look like a dog poo to me, but then I've never seen racoon poo. I think possum poo is like bunny poo, little round balls (at least for australian possums, I'm not sure whether your possums are the same thing as ours.)

3. Little Byrd

Dec 25, 2015
    Georgia

Well, I can cross cat and possum off my list...dang it! That leaves raccoon!:( I really hate raccoons and don't want them near my ducks.

4. duckmanjim

duckmanjim Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2015
    Georgia
    I will bet you its raccoon! Be very careful! He is trying to get to your ducks and wont give up until he does!

5. potato chip

not necessarily. Cats CAN leave a poo exposed, but it's not their normal "thing", and I was curious after reading your post and looked up "possum poo". It's the pygmy possums that have the bunny poo, bigger possums have bigger poo....

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2007/09/26/2044094.htm

Those pictures all look green though.... The colour of yours doesn't look like the "doings" of a herbivore(although possum poo can be other colours, according to that article) . Are the cats around your area feral, or are there domestic cats there? Are you sure it's poo? It could be a cat "chuck-up" of kibble. They can be that weird reddish colour, it's the colour of the kibble.

What do raccoons eat? Are they meat eaters?

6. Little Byrd

Dec 25, 2015
    Georgia
    It is definitely poo. I took a whiff just to be sure and it smelled absolutely terrible. I've only seen one cat in 2 months and I don't know if it was someone's pet or not.

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Hi there

I have two cats and their poop has never looked like that but their vomit does; same colour, consistency etc.

Just a thought [​IMG]

8. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

I think vomit as well. Feces typically lacks the reds. Coarse particulate texture also not consistent with feces.

9. potato chip

Vomit doesn't smell good, either. The longer it's been digesting, the worse it is.

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Looks like vomit to me too.....partially digested kibble.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by