What type of roofing for kennel coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hoosiermomma, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Songster

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Right now we are using a dog kennel for a coop. Okay so it isn't the prettiest thing but hey, it works for now. We do have a shed that we will be putting up in the near future but for the time being we need suggestions on what type of 'roof' to put on it to keep the chicks dry, since we've had a really rainy summer. We have poultry netting over it and a tarp over that but when the rain collects it tends to pull the sides of the kennel in. We would like something that is a little more sturdy which will stand up to the rain and snow (in the winter) so it will keep the inside dry. Once we get the shed up we will use the kennel as a run but would still like to keep something over the top to keep critters/rain/snow out.
    Thanks....[​IMG]

2. marytoast

marytoast Songster

Dec 31, 2008
    Carthage, NC
    I wanna know too. It sounds like you have seen my guinea enclosure! Dogg kennel with netting and a sagging tarp. We still have a muddy mess!

3. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Songster

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Im gonna build maybe 9 kennel coops and for walls im using tarps that i can pull up if I need to, and for roofing im going to get basically a single peice of, I guess, wooden flatboard. Im not exactly sure what you call it, sorry. I tried tarps and stuff for a roof and it tore and holds rain so the wood is much easier to manage and all you have to do is drill a few holes on each side then tie it with zip ties or wire or something [​IMG]

4. fldiver97

fldiver97 Crowing

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    My Coop
    Hi

I used a dog kennel for a couple of days and did the tarp cover. Not good when it rains or heavy wind. It was temporary because the run was not finished.
    I thought about using shingles over plywood on as a roof for the run I build but then decided it would probably become too heavy.... I found some PVC type "wavy" roofing sheets at Home Depot. I cut it to size ( I think they sell 8x 4and 12x4 size sheets) and screwed them on the 2x4 boards that I used to build the frame for the pen. That stuff comes in clear and different colors. Maybe you can use a sheet of plywood and cover it with a sheet of the PVC. Plywood alone will warp and rot quickly. Or you could make a wooden frame to hold the sheet. Just a thought....I also have chickenwire stapled over the top of the frame/under PVC roofing so critters can't get in.
    Good lucj with your project

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    You could just put a dog-house type thing in it for them to go into, then you wouldn't have to worry about it. Or put a 2x4 or something down under the middle of your tarp, so the water can run off it instead of sitting on it.

6. BFeathered

BFeathered Songster

Aug 29, 2008
    North Texas
    1x2s across the run with the wavy PVC type stuff works well, but it gets VERY hot in the sun; cooked chicken! Be sure to get opaque stuff to prevent that. We eventually did plywood on 1x2s (for ventilation) then put the wavy stuff on top of that for drainage and wood protection. Good luck!

7. Big Red Roo

Big Red Roo In the Brooder

Jul 26, 2009
    Waco Tx
    Heres an idea send your extra rain to Texas We need it bad. If the cracks in my yard get any bigger my chickens are going to start falling in them. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I used the wavy PVC panels as well. I just drilled holes in it and ziptied it to the walls. I ran a piece of pipe down the center and bowed the panels over it to keep the water from collecting. Just had to replace the zipties this year. and the panels seem to be as strong as ever.
    My coop and run are mostly in the shade, and I'm in usually cool Western Washington, so it isn't hot. Although in a hot climate I would watch this.

Imp

9. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Songster

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Can someone post a pic of the wavy pvc panel? Here is a pic of our kennel. As you can see I have all the sides tarped with this insultated type of tarp. That has held up well but the top hasn't. We were considering buying some pretty flexible pvc pipe to arch it in various places (4-5) from one side to the other. However we would still have to figure out what to put over that. We also thought about some 1 by's or something that we could screw together to form an frame similar to that which is used for the roof in home building. We do have an igloo house in the kennel which was supposed to be for my peafowl pair but they would prefer roosting. I also have a small bunny hutch in there which is for the newbies until they can join the rest but right now there aren't any so I always find someone laying inside it, and the others go under it or roost on top of it. So whenever it rains we do our best to keep them dry but most usually end up wet and the floor a muddy mess. ;( I would like to do something before fall and winter hit. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I don't have any pix now, but tomorrow I'll take some and either post or PM.

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: