What type of rooster is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mizzy, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Mizzy

Mizzy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2010
    Ooltewah
    I got this guy with a group of silkies amongst some other chicks. He looked like a silkie growing up until he started getting feathers and running around like a road runner instead of a clumsy little silkie. He has 5 toes and feathered feet with turquoise earlobes. He is about 6 months old now and has a clumpy comb (i dont know the correct term lol) compared to my Delaware roosters single comb. He has purple comb and wattles and has a very loud long crow (not like my top hats short quick crow)

I was wondering if he might be a mixed breed, but the lady I bought from says she only lets her chickens out in groups of their own kind at a time. I took a tour of her farm, was shown the different breeds, but lol I can not remember all of that. I just got this group of chickens for a backyard type of hobby. I have to say, I really enjoy my chickens (my Delaware more than any bc he is to tame).

Sorry the picture isnt too good. He is really fast and doesn't like to get close. But once I pick him up he does sit on my lap quietly. Catching him is the thing - Any info will help..thanks guys

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[​IMG]

2. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    He Definately has silkie in him.With the toe's and that head.I don't have a clue what he is mixed with however.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    He looks really cool! Maybe he could be crossed with a RIR? Just a guess of course.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Silky X. Somebody sneaked over the fence.

5. Mizzy

Mizzy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2010
    Ooltewah
    Ya, I'm thinking someone snuck over the fence too haha! He defiantly has that silkie fuzz going on the top of his head. Oh he really is a pretty thing when the light hits his back tail feathers - it's a really beautiful greenish color. Him and the silkie hens kinda group together while the others roam around doing their thing. Well, I have looked at picture after picture of chickens. . . guess he is a mix.

6. little blue

little blue Chillin' with my Orps

Jul 11, 2010
    Mansfield, CT
    a silkie or a polish

7. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    He looks like a Silkie/Rhode Island Red cross. I can see a 5th toe, so the silkie part is certain.

8. Mizzy

Mizzy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2010
    Ooltewah
    Well, I managed to grab him up tonight. Glad he is super friendly - still doesnt like camera too well. I haven't got to hold him since he was younger, but he definelty has silkie fuzzy feathers mixed with reg feathers. He has nice silkie top on his head lol...like a little mohawk :p

I thought I would share the pictures with you guys since these are a lot better/closer. Thanks all that replied.

[​IMG]

Here me and my 7 year old held his wings out a bit to show the pretty colors in him
    [​IMG]

oh and what the heck - here is one more showing off those pretty earlobes lol
    [​IMG]

9. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    looks like a comb from a brahma. I'm guessing that he's a cross of some sort. maybe EE, but could be anything. that type of comb can come about from crossing pea and rose combs. It's called a walnut comb (bet you can't guess why). He is nice looking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by