1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What Type of Safeguard dewormer?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by h-kay, Apr 4, 2015.

1. h-kay

h-kay Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2015
    Hello,

My vet and several others have recommended Safeguard Dewormer. I can't find a Safeguard dewormer for poultry. Which Safegaurd should I use? Goat? Horse? I'm look for a preventive/precautionary treatment for free range layer hens with zero egg holding. How much and how often should I give?

Thanks so much!

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    You can use Beef and dairy cattle or equine. @casportpony has dosing info in her signature. [​IMG]

3. 808Patricia

808Patricia New Egg

Mar 11, 2012
  4. h-kay

h-kay Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2015
    I will check out both. Thank you!

5. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Also, read this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth Read especially Pest Control (notice what is said in study of use in cattle) and Use in agriculture.( Notice it's effectiveness on exoskeletons, especially wet insects). See what conclusion you reach. What do you think after reading? [​IMG]

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    DE will not prevent nor treat worms. It is ineffective when wet, just like inside the chickens innards.
    Purchase safeguard liquid goat wormer. Use a syringe without a needle to administer it. Dosage is 1/2cc for standard size chickens orally undiluted for 5 days straight.

4 people like this.
  7. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    I was trying to let the OP figure that out themselves. Better than just being told sometimes! If people read why DE doesn't work, they won't perpetuate the myth that DE is some sort of wonder cure!
    Like you say, forewarned is forearmed! [​IMG]

8. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    You can use any 10% liquid or paste Safeguard. The dose I use is 0.23ml per pound for five days... that dose will treat roundworms, cecal worms, gapeworms, capillary worms and possibly some species of tape worms. Please double check with your vet on how much they want you to use.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  9. h-kay

h-kay Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2015
    Thank you, Dawg. I'm not a big fan of DE for use with chickens. To each his own. I do however truely appreciate the replies and everyone's time. It is up to me to look into things that are suggested. On a separate note, Dawg, I wanted to ask... I ordered an emergency kit for chickens from a hatchery. It came with 9 meds. One of them is Oxytetracycline. It has a white label which only has the name of the drug. The meds came with dosing instructions but don't mention anything about an egg withdrawn period. On BYC I have found some suggesting not to eat the eggs for two weeks. On one thread I believe you said 21 days. (I may have that backwards, If so I apologize.) Dosage is 2 teaspoons per Gallon for 10 to 14 days. It is a powder. What would you say the withdraw period is and is there any recommended reading on the topic? Not just for this drug but other common ones?
    Thank you for your time. A lot of us look to you for help. Thanks

10. h-kay

h-kay Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2015
    Thank you! Very helpful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by