What type of sand for my run..

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Going Quackers, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Crowing

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    My run is a mud mess(yes, probably been said by a thousand people already lol) from my research, sand is my best bet of the options available.

I do have the run partially covered both with shade tarp and wood to reduce the wet coming in but only so much can be done with it being dirt floored.

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Crowing

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: Sand is sand
    Use the cheapest you can find, and use a LOT of it

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    Any kind of sand is OK. It will last a lot longer if you have some type of containment around the bottom of the run so rain won’t wash it away or the chickens don't scratch it out as much.

The only concern I’d have is sand from a saltwater beach. The chickens can’t handle a lot of salt because they don’t have the glands sea gulls and such birds do to remove the excess.

This is just personal preference. I prefer coarser construction-type sand to the really fine play sand. They both work but the construction sand is probably a bit less expensive and they can better use the bigger bits as grit.

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Crowing

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: After a couple of rains, there would be little to no salt left in the sand, and they won't be eating it anyway
    Seabirds need the gland because they drink salt water

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Crowing

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Gotcha lol
    I tried a bag of sand that was a more gravel base, they didn't call it construction though but definitely was more gravel filled than your typical play sand type.

No risk of saltwater, we are only near the lake but i would buy from a source vs finding my own.

Thanks both of you.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  6. chfite

chfite Songster

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I used river sand from the landscaping supply company in town. It is coarser than most of the sand around. It was cheaper, too.

Chris

7. NotableNancy

NotableNancy Songster

Dec 28, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    We are in the process of building our run and put the sand in it before the roof has been constructed. It rained last night and temp is only in the 30's here - the sand turned extremely hard!
    Is that due to the rain/temps or did we use the wrong sand?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by