1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What type of sand?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Baxter's Chickens, May 11, 2011.

1. Baxter's Chickens

Baxter's Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2011
    Hi
    Ready to fill coop and run (finally!!) I plan to use sand. Can anyone tell me the best type of sand to use? Also, should I spread food grade DE around both the run and coop?
    Thanks!

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Can anyone tell me the best type of sand to use?

The cheapest you can find.

It's just sand

DE won't do anything in the run, and will only kill a few bugs in the coop​

3. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I dont know what is best but I can tell you what I did. After reading here and looking at what I had on hand vs money to spend I did the following.

For the run, we had a large pile of sand that had been in our yard for several years. We had a septic tank put in and they just left the remaining sand. We used that for the run. I think it is some sort of construction sand or fill dirt. It is very rocky so we have been picking the big rocks out and leaving the smaller ones for grit.

For the coop, I went to Lowes and bought 6 bags of "play sand". My coop is 6x4, 4 bags put about 2-3 inches in the bottom. I have 2 left over to replace as needed. I use PDZ and DE in the run and coop for oder/pest control. I have a 42" pooper scooper I bought online and it works great. I also use a metal garden rake to mix the sand in the run and in the coop.

Hope this helps.

4. Baxter's Chickens

Baxter's Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2011
    Very helpful!! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by