1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What type of Sex-Link do I have?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Cookie's_Clucks, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Cookie's_Clucks

Cookie's_Clucks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2011
    Little ol' Idaho
    I recently got some baby chicks from my local mill, and the man told me they were all Golden Sex-Links. However they some of them look different. Some have all white feathers coming in and some have brownish/ reddish "stripes" on their backs. What are they??

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

They will be good layers, most likely. There is no one single formula for making sex links of the red/golden variety. There are dozens of hatcheries producing dozens and dozens of strains and assigning them cutsie names like Queens, Stars, Links, etc. Further, chicks will "color" in differently. Some will have more red (favoring the red parent) while others will show more white (favoring the white/silver parent. Knowing for certain the "breed" of the parent stock is virtually impossible, as the hatcheries keep that information pretty close to the vest. Additionally, that parent stock is seldom "pure" themselves. Hope this helps you be at peace. They are what they are. Usually great, great layers of large brown hens. But they are hybrids and that is all that they are. Often lovable, wonderful, egg laying mutts.

3. Cookie's_Clucks

Cookie's_Clucks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2011
    Little ol' Idaho
    Thank you for answering, that makes much more sense, I'm new to this so I'm a little confused about certain things! [​IMG]

4. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Were you told they are all sex link pullets? Many feed stores get them straight run and new chicken owners don't realize that and think because they are sex links they must all lay eggs [​IMG] Red sex link roos are white with red leakage-feathers are red usually mostly in the wing area and chest.
    Freds Hens is correct the ladies won't all look alike but do look distinctly different than the boys [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by