What type of turkey is she?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by LilyWhite, Dec 11, 2012.

1. LilyWhite

LilyWhite Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2012
    Reidsville, NC
    I had a friend give me this turkey about 2 weeks ago and I am curious to know what type of turkey she is. She has tints of green on her feathers... I saved her because they were going to kill her and shes very tame and will eat from your hand...

http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/t465/LilyWhite01/m1-1.jpg

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  2. LilyWhite

Jul 29, 2012
    Reidsville, NC
    Thanks for the help :)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  3. LilyWhite

Jul 29, 2012
    Reidsville, NC
    UMaybe you can see this one better because the whole photbucket thing has got me puzzled :/
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. CluckAcres

CluckAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    Silver Lake, Indiana
    Not really sure but if you look up all the breeds of turkeys in the breeds tab above you might be able to find a turkey that looks like her. Might give you an idea.

5. LilyWhite

Jul 29, 2012
    Reidsville, NC
    I tried that... all i see there is stuff about chickens

6. CluckAcres

CluckAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2012
    Silver Lake, Indiana
  7. Heritageturkey

Heritageturkey Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2012
    Kind of looks like an auburn, but not 100% positive. Is she brown in color, kind of looks that way from what I can tell, the pics just aren't that sharp to tell for sure.
    Since she is so tame can you get a better closeup pic of her with someone holding open her wing so we can see color and patterns better.

8. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Hi Lily,

I have auburns, and mine are a little more reddish than this hen. I not sayiing she isn't an auburn as athe colors could be simply the difference in monitor settings.

My auburns have barrend primaries on the wings. OTherwise they are halfway between a chocolate and a bourbon red-- not a dark brown and not a red. Maybe more like a milk chocolate?

PortersTUrkeys.com has a great listing of individual breeds and photos of the birds from chick thru adult. That might help. I look thru the sales/buying page first to see a thumbprint of each breed, then go to the main page for all the picts by age for a specific breed.

9. LilyWhite

Jul 29, 2012
    Reidsville, NC
    She is more of a dark grey color with white stripes and she has like a green florescent color to a pinkish color when the sun light hits her. She is a vey sweet turkey. Ill have to post a picture of her wing tomorrow... (I am at work). Thanks for any help that you have and are giving. :)

10. LilyWhite

Jul 29, 2012
    Reidsville, NC
    I think she may be a Silver Auburn or a Standard Bronze. I went on the Porter Turkeys website and that was very helpful, now I just need to decide between the two... :) Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by