What type of watering system should I go with?

SavyNic

Chirping
Apr 9, 2020
Katy, TX
Alrighty, so I'm brand new to this awesome chicken community, and I have my first chicks! They're getting to be around 7 weeks old now, and as much as I love their company, I need to get them out of my house (as I'm sure a lot of y'all understand haha). We are almost done building the coop+run, and I've been able to get most of my questions answered through browsing this website and others... but the one thing I really need some help with is the water situation. We have 9 birds (2 Silkies, a Barred Rock, a Barnevelder, 2 Easter Eggers, a Black Copper Maran, a Cream Brabanter, and a Welsummer) and their coop+run is 10ftx30ft, covered with roofing. I have seen so many different ways to approach the waterers, but I don't know what would work best for our situation. My birds have never used the cups and nipples that have to be pecked to release water, so I wanted to know if they would be able to learn at this point in their lives? If so, has anyone used a large bucket or trashcan and attached them to that? I live in Southeast Texas, so it gets pretty steamy in the summer and I don't want to have to worry about them ever running low on water. But I was also wondering if a large container of water would get too hot? I've also seen a lot of variations of PVC pipe creations. I know I do not want a traditional waterer, because I like how other options stay cleaner and cannot be knocked down. Also, how many should I have? 2? Sorry for the overload but I need help lol! I would definitely appreciate any and all advice and opinions! Thanks in advance :)

I have used a 5 gallon bucket with nipples. It worked very well.

In summer you have to choose a shady place to put the water. If it gets very hot where you live you might have to check on how hot your water is during hot sunny days. Adding a block of ice might just keep the water at a good temperature. Even in Montana I have had to put ice in the water on really hot days. I have only ever had one waterer at a time but each waterer will have at least 4 nipples. However, I have only had 15 chickens at the most. If you have a lot of chickens you might need more waterers.

Chickens of any age can learn to use a nipple. I have used both vertical and horizontal nipples. I prefer the horizontal as I live in Northern Montana where it can get very cold during the winter. Horizontal nipples are less likely to freeze when using a stock tank deicer to keep the water container thawed.

The key to having your chickens use the nipples is to remove all other water sources. Probably best to do it when the weather is moderate just in case it takes them more than a couple hours to figure it out. I have had great success in just putting in the new waterer and removing the old waterer. Never had my chickens take longer than 2 hours to figure it out. Chickens ranged from 8 weeks old to adults that were several years old. Chickens are curious animals. They will be attracted to that shiny piece of metal as well as the red color of the nipples. They will peck and run away, testing it to see if it is safe and if it is edible. Before you know it one will realize they get water when they peck. Once one figures it out they all will. Some people do hold a chicken and poke its beak on the nipple. I never have but it's an idea. Others have used a laser light to attract the chicken to the nipple.

Thank you so much for your feedback! After hearing you say they'll just naturally peck at the nipples I'm having a "well duh" moment haha! But that definitely makes me feel more comfortable using them, so I appreciate it!

Good luck. Some people have said their chickens never figured out how to use nipples. I have never had any batches of chickens not figure it out quickly. At one time the neighbors on each side of me had free ranging flocks of chickens. Even those chickens learned to use the nipples rather than go home for a drink. Several months ago I gave a nipple waterer to a neighbor as a gift. Her birds had never seen nipples before. She put it in their pen. None died so I am assuming they figured it out. Maybe Montana chickens are smarter than other chickens, but I really don't think so. I have just always assumed that the chickens would figure it out and they have never disappointed me.

When I was looking at them a week or so ago, I did read a lot of reviews saying the nipples break too easily. Have you had good luck with them? Or are you having to constantly replace them?

Good luck. Some people have said their chickens never figured out how to use nipples. I have never had any batches of chickens not figure it out quickly. At one time the neighbors on each side of me had free ranging flocks of chickens. Even those chickens learned to use the nipples rather than go home for a drink. Several months ago I gave a nipple waterer to a neighbor as a gift. Her birds had never seen nipples before. She put it in their pen. None died so I am assuming they figured it out. Maybe Montana chickens are smarter than other chickens, but I really don't think so. I have just always assumed that the chickens would figure it out and they have never disappointed me.
Lol....
I think some folks just get way too worried about it and think the birds aren't drinking and panic after a short time, tossing out the waterer. Like you, I have yet to have a single bird die, or even show ANY signs of dehydration...but I dont spend much time fretting over them either, so....

I have been using them for years. Never had one break. Did have one start to stick after a few years. Played with the nipple until it worked freely again.

Back
Top Bottom