1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What type of wood should be used when building a chicken coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by The Harvest Moon Chicken, Apr 17, 2007.

1. The Harvest Moon Chicken

The Harvest Moon Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2007
    Southern California
    I am looking at the Lowes web site right now, trying to approximate how much it is going to cost me to build a chicken tractor. So I found lumber, but there are TONS of diffrent types of woods, each with their own price range.

So I was wondering if maybe some types of wood are better for chickens than others, if some are actually harmful to chickens? And, what type of wood does best outside, if there even is one?

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Cedar does best outside, but it can be toxic to chickens.

Straight pine or fir with a good coat of urethane is probably your best and cheapest bet.

3. Pringle_Sussex

Pringle_Sussex Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Australia
    I'm not actually sure about wood... cause the chook house that i have is made out of metal... the only wooden thing in there is a roost and i think thats pine....[​IMG]

4. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Outdoor plywood works Ok for the solid parts. Regular 2x4's, etc. are also OK. Regardless of the type, wood will weather some. You can paint or seal the outside for better protection and for the coop to last longer.

MillersFarm likes this.
  5. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  6. The Harvest Moon Chicken

The Harvest Moon Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2007
    Southern California
    thank you very much!

7. pansophia

pansophia Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    Before finding this thread I insisted that hubby buy cedar 2x4s instead of pressure treated. Whoops! I was also hoping to use cedar shakes on the exterior.

If the chickens can't get to the cedar or it's stained will they be okay?

8. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    We used Rough cut hard wood straigt from the saw mill, it was cheap, but is awsome wood! Lowes charges way too much!!

9. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Cedar is fine for the 2x4's and shingles. Just don't use it for the chicken's bedding.

10. Arklady

Arklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    The Harvest Moon Chicken I love your name, I play that game all the time. LOL...

As for lumber I thought the cheapest is yellow pine. I know pressure treated wood is ok outside but it does have arsenic in it to deter bugs. So I don't know about that.

I built my chicken tractors out of the wood that comes off of the log splitters that Attwoods ranch and farm store sells. They just throw the crates away. Check them out see what they are tossing. Its first come first serve I understand but I got enough to make 9 chicken tractors in one day!

Arklady

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by