what type should i buy?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by silkielover5, Dec 5, 2011.

1. silkielover5

silkielover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    so im thinking about getting into quail. what breed do you experts recrememd? i want pretty ones that i could show well. i also would breed them? could you also post tips and pictures. thank you

2. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    All quail are pretty! Seriously though, if you've never had quail before...start with coturnix, they are the easiest to care for and come in a multitude of different colors. When you get comfortable with the characteristics of quail, then look into the other varieties.

Keep in mind that Native North American quail could require permits to keep and or sell. You'll need to research that with your state's conservation dept. It will save you fines and headaches later.

Coturnix are not native, they are Asian...so no permits required...in most areas in way (still research before you buy)

good luck!

edited to add a photo

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  3. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Coturnix Quail are great starter quail [​IMG]

4. quailmale

quailmale Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:In florida you do need a permit for over 50 Quail including Coturnix.[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Coturnix are not native, they are Asian...so no permits required...in most areas in way (still research before you buy)

INCORRECT IN MANY AREAS. ALWAYS CHECK YOUR STATE LAWS.

THERE'S A LINK HERE IN THE STICKY SECTION, OR GRAB YOUR PHONE BOOK, LOOK IN THE BLUE (GOVT LISTINGS) PAGES IN THE VERY FRONT AND FIND THE NUMBER FOR FISH AND WILDLIFE/ DNR AND CALL THEM ~ THEY CAN ADVISE YOU MOST CORRECTLY AS THEY WILL BE THE ONES ISSUEING ANY CITATIONS OR TAKING YOU INTO CUSTODY FOR LEGAL INFRACTIONS COMMITED​

6. blackhawk44

blackhawk44 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2011
    Phoenix, Arizona
    coturnix are easy to take care of but gambles are fun to watch:)

7. bfrancis

bfrancis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Okmulgee Co, Oklahoma
    Quote:INCORRECT IN MANY AREAS. ALWAYS CHECK YOUR STATE LAWS.

THERE'S A LINK HERE IN THE STICKY SECTION, OR GRAB YOUR PHONE BOOK, LOOK IN THE BLUE (GOVT LISTINGS) PAGES IN THE VERY FRONT AND FIND THE NUMBER FOR FISH AND WILDLIFE/ DNR AND CALL THEM ~ THEY CAN ADVISE YOU MOST CORRECTLY AS THEY WILL BE THE ONES ISSUEING ANY CITATIONS OR TAKING YOU INTO CUSTODY FOR LEGAL INFRACTIONS COMMITED

THAT'S WHY I ADDED THE "RESEARCH BEFORE YOU BUY", BUT THANKS FOR REITERATING WHAT I ALREADY SAID.

8. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    lol now boys [​IMG]

9. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Their all hard to take care of it's everyday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by