What types of chicks do I have?

kylie15

In the Brooder
May 19, 2015
New Hampshire
Hi!
I just got 10 chicks last week that are only 6 days old now! I'm not really sure what breeds they are. I know that the 2 with light chipmunk like stripes are easter eggers, the 2 black ones are Plymouth barred rocks, and the 2 yellow ones are buff orpingtons. I was wondering if anyone has any guesses for the other 2? If you do please let me know!! Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Sounds like you have a lovely flock! Those are some great breeds you've picked out. I would agree with Michael that the others are EEs. Good luck with them. They are very cute!

Last edited:
Unless you got your chipmunk like one from a breeder, they are probably not Araucana. If you got them from the feed store or hatchery, they are Easter Eggers.
A picture would help.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. We would need to see pictures to help you identify the other two chicks. Trying to identify chicks without pics is like shooting in the dark. If you can get some pics of them posted, we would be happy to take a look at them for you. Also, you can post their pics on our What Breed or Gender is This? section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this. I can tell you without seeing them that your 2 Araucanas are likely Easter Eggers rather than true Araucanas which are rare and expensive and have tailless rumps. Hatcheries and feed stores frequently and incorrectly market their Easter Eggers under the labels Aruacana or Ameraucana when they are in fact neither one. There is a good article on this at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting pics of your unknown breeds posted.

There are 3 pictures with my post but I just added more , they must have not shown up , let me know if you can see them now

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom