What types of dogs are ok with livestock?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by 1acrefarm, Dec 15, 2008.

1. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    My nephew wants a dog and does not want a little one. I have goats and poultry so naturally I want him to get a dog with a low prey drive. I don't particularly need a working dog just one that will no as likely make a snack of my animals. We want to get a puppy so it grows up around my animals.

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Any breed should be able to be trained not to attack the other animals, especially if you raise it from a puppy. I have a Catahoula (normally used for hog catchers) that absolutely loves my chickens. He retrieves when we go dove hunting, but knows the difference and protects the chickens from the other dogs.

3. momofdrew

momofdrew Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a lab rhoty mix and a lab chow mix they are both great with my brids but they are ages 10 and 9 and I introduced the birds when they were hatchlings and daily until they went out intothe coop then I slowly allowed the dogs some access to the birds while I watched like a hawk now I can leave them all out at the same time with out worrying... I think a puppy would be too excitable for the birds...

4. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Trained ones [​IMG]

5. Poohbear

Poohbear On a Time Out

Nov 12, 2008
    Texas
    Great Pyrenees are fantastic dogs to have around ANY livestock or fowl. They are natural herding dogs and are protective of animals on THEIR farm. Use females that are spayed. Easier to train. They will wander off if not kept busy. Do not encourage them to be unfriendly to people. My girls LOVE people and especially kids, BUT will attack any predator coming into the chicken area, even flying predators. They often bark at buzzards or crows flying overhead. I have two GPs and couldn't be happier.

6. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Yup, what everyone else said.

My APBT has a strong prey drive with stray animals or wildlife... but he loves and protects the chickens! I think it is mostly how you raise and train them. Training is really the key... If you train them to leave the animals alone and not chase, etc.... and they want to please you, then they will learn.

7. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    I'll add my agreement to the posts above, it is all about temperament and training because you never know. I have a beagle mix and a greyhound, both dogs with a tendency toward high prey drives but they could care less about the chickens. Now if we were raising rabbits or chimpmunks it would be another story [​IMG]

8. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:my 9 year old (RIP) was like that.. and even are beauties (long white hair [​IMG] ).. but can be trouble in warm climates unless you cut their hair

9. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Does anyone have any experience with Collies? I want one, one day and wondered how they were with chickens and other poultry. My guess is that they are ok.

Post pics if you have any.

I have greyhounds now and after a little training they are great with the chickens, no problems.

10. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    No, but I think I read somewhere that Collies are one of the few breeds with adverse reactions to Ivermectin. Not that it applies to you... but just throwing it out there since we have many members who use it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by