What types of wood are safe for bedding?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by smileygreen64, Dec 12, 2016.

1. smileygreen64

smileygreen64 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2016
    Southeast Alabama
    I have a hobby woodshop that creates piles of sawdust. I know cedar is not suitable for chickens. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge in regard to other woods? I know pine is ok. I was wondering about domestic hardwoods commonly found in the southeastern U.S. such as oak, gum, poplar, walnut, etc. I do some with exotic woods but some of those can cause skin and respitory problems in people so I would obviously stay away from those.

I use leaves for bedding, so the sawdust wouldn't be the main bedding. I just have piles that I would like to put to use rather than it going to waste.

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

pine is good, id leave walnut alone just because it does kill plants, and it might mess with the birds

3. TerryH

TerryH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop
    Agree with all the domestic hardwoods probably being fine less the walnut. I don't work in walnut any more because it really bothered my respiratory system even with great dust collection. Particle size might be of some concern if you are collecting a lot of fines from sanding operations. Wouldn't see any issue with planer, jointer etc... shavings.

4. smileygreen64

smileygreen64 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2016
    Southeast Alabama
    Thanks for the input. Walnut was the one I was most concerned with. I know it's bad for plants. I will avoid it. I will probably just put what I can under the roost to help keep the moisture down in that area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by