1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What types of wood can be used to build a coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by callen0912, Feb 5, 2015.

1. callen0912

callen0912 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2015
    Title says enough. Is any type of wood usable when it comes to building a coop? Any certain types I should stay away from? I ask because I'm feeling really, REALLY dumb right now lol. My husband works for a hardwood company. When we moved to house we're in now, we did a good bit of remodeling, and we did hardwood floors. At my husbands job, if they slighty mess up the wood, they basically throw it aside and if none of the employees want it, it gets thrown away. So he was able to get us free hardwood for our house! Anywho.. got of subject. I just realized we have pine tongue and groove boards left over and was wondering how I could put that to use?

2. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    I think any of the woods that are commercially available will be fine for a coop. Lots of people make their coops out of the soft pine from pallets. Lots of people use redwood or cedar because it holds up well to the elements. I would guess hardwoods would all be fine and dandy. You could end up with something really amazing if he has fancy exotic hardwood scraps!

3. callen0912

callen0912 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2015
    Just what I wanted to hear! I know what we have is pine, but they do all types where he works. Not to mention it'll be free which is a major plus!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by