What up with this egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Pure Poultry, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Pure Poultry

Pure Poultry Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2014
    Found this in the nesting box today and was wondering why it happened? Should I be worried? [​IMG]

2. Pure Poultry

Oct 20, 2014
    Should I be worried? (The last part)

3. AussieChics

AussieChics Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2014
    Adelaide Australia
    The big one or the little one?

4. Pure Poultry

Oct 20, 2014
    The tiny one. The browner egg is a normal sized egg and was wondering about the little one??

5. XxMingirlxX

XxMingirlxX Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    You can look it up, they are called oops eggs or fart eggs and should be nothing to worry about, especially if the hen is young. They tend to happen if the chicken gets surprised or stressed but can sometimes just an accident hence 'fart egg' with most egg problems only worry if it becomes a regular thing I got an egg like this before[​IMG] it's just excess calcium and the same rule applies, she stopped laying for a few days and then was back to normal.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Is it from a new layer....or a layer just producing again after a molt?

Not unusual, nothing to worry about.

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Pure Poultry, those tiny eggs can happen at any time with any hen, but are a lot more likely to happen when the pullet just starts to lay. There are a lot of parts in a pullet’s internal egg making factory and some of them need some practice to get it right.

That could be a perfect egg with a tiny yolk and white, but probably not. I’ve never seen one that small. It might be all yolk with no white at all, especially if it is a pullet just starting. Sometimes a hen releases a second yolk while the first one is still going through her internal factory and there is just not enough egg material left to make the second egg as big as the first.

It may be pure white, no yolk at all, especially if the hen has been laying a while though pullets do it too a lot. A tiny particle of something you might not even be able to find may have fallen in the start of the egg making machinery and the hen’s body treated it like a yolk and built an egg around it.

If it is from a pullet just starting to lay, it is nothing to worry about. She should straighten out in a very few days, certainly before two weeks. If you very rarely get them from an established layer, again nothing to worry about. If you get them on a regular basis from a hen that has been laying for over a month, then there is probably something wrong with her internal laying machinery. You can’t fix it by nutrition or anything else.

There is one exception to that. If it is a hen is regularly releasing a second yolk before the first one is laid, that is a sign she may be over-fed. A hen getting too much nutrition can do that. Cut back on the protein some. That may or may not help. Overfeeding is not the only thing that can cause that. If it is not regular but just an extremely rare occurrence, it’s not over feeding but something else.

Mingirl, that looks like a “white banded egg”. That’s when two eggs are in the shell gland together, so a second egg obviously started before the first one was laid. You might find a regular sized egg that has a defect on the shell laid the same day or maybe the day before. Again, if it is a one-off occurrence, it is not big deal.

8. XxMingirlxX

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England

I know, I was using it for my point, sometimes bad eggs happen. That egg was from a two and a half year old ex battery hen called Babs who survived being bit by a fox a few months before; she stopped laying for a few days and is totally back to normal now :cd

9. XxMingirlxX

Dec 12, 2013
    Lancashire, England
    The hen Babs : [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Pure Poultry

Oct 20, 2014
    Thanks guys good to know I don't have to be worried

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by