What uses?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by animalpro24, Jul 4, 2011.

1. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    What do you all use your geese for. Eggs, meat, pets,etc.....?

2. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    I used my other geese for pets and then meat, but my current goose Keld is a pet with the added benefit of eggs.

3. bryleighs_gmal

bryleighs_gmal Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2010
    TN.
    i have the largest breed of geese mine are my watch dogs over the pond...they actually help with snakes , but ours also are considered the meat production i hatch here at hone and sale them or i sell the eggs...

4. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    The most important job my geese have are weeding. I know there is a breed of 'weeder" geese but all geese will weed. I love that about them. Down, yes, I use the down, and meat come next. They are all pets, I love them all, just can't keep them all so nice to be able to eat the over flow.

5. mr.mc.

mr.mc. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Indiana
    Quote:what breed of goose is that? [​IMG]

6. We use ours for mowing -- they love grass! They do protect the other birds (chickens and ducks) somewhat just by being around in the coop as well. However, they don't really protect the chickens since they weren't raised with them, but the ducklings that they were raised with will mob together with the geese under stress . . . We have too many close neighbors, so we didn't get the breeds that were better for watch geese, but they do let us know what is going on. I'm looking forward to the eggs, but I doubt we would ever eat a goose . . . I have too much fun with mine.

7. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2011
    I have a Pair the female for eggs and the male for protection.

8. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Mine are used for protection for the chickens...mowing the yard/eating weeds....will be used for meat,breeding...and eye candy

9. opalwednesday

opalwednesday Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Ridgecrest
    my geese serve as alarms for the chicken coop. when they're cooped they freak if something changes in the barn area, alerting the dogs, who then alert me. it's a chain of command (and hearing power)

also I am so excited for the egg shells, i can't wait to paint and carve them

10. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    mine are guard geese...we live miles fro anywhere and they ALWAYS honk if they hear/see a car or someone approaching...Deters burglars thats for sure!
    they also watch over the chickens and ducks...if a cat/hawk/other predator is seen, they sound the alarm and the rest run for cover....!

they also serve as live in gardeners, keeping the place weed free year round [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by