What variety? Black Copper Marans? Other Marans? Fugitive Wellie cross?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GuemesLinda, Mar 18, 2015.

1. GuemesLinda

GuemesLinda Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2012
    All of these 2 day old chicks are from eggs that were supposed to be Black Copper Marans. could they possibly all be Black Copper Marans? They all look so different! a different marans variety? And Welsummer cross?

15 are chicks from my own hens and roosters. all I have is Black Copper Marans roosters, but I have one Wellsummer hen that lays a very dark egg. I felt like I was absolutely sure I did not incubate any of her eggs, but these little chicks make me uneasy.

I also purchased hatching eggs from a local backyard chicken person, and she has several different varieties of marans. when I watched a pure yellow chick hack from from one of her eggs,(the last pic) I contacted her and she has said that some eggs might have gotten confused. she owns several varieties of Marans. if that is the case, which Marans might these be?
    I have been keeping Black Copper Marans for several years, but this is my first hatch of chicks. Help! And thanks in advance for any info you might be able to share.
    Linda[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    The dark ones could all be BCM's, I've had some hatch darker as they were from different lines... second pic looks kinda like a blue copper marans, watch how it feathers out... if she does have blue copper marans, then that explains that one and the yellow chick... blue over blue creates splash chicks, and splash chicks are yellow at hatch...
    If you want to make sure you don't make wellie crosses, I'd separate her... never seen wellie x BCM's, so not sure if some of those are... hope this helps!

3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    x2

Also....look at leg feathers. Is your line (and hers) old fashioned, traditional French with leg feathers? If so, then any chicks with minimal leg feathers could be your Wellie cross as the feathers drop out pretty quickly. I just did a simple breed calculator of BCM roo over Wellie hen and it looks like the coloring would be typical of BCM...but those leg feathers should be telling.

http://www.breedbook.org/?action=geneticscalculator&tab=CHICKEN

My additional thoughts.
    LofMc

4. GuemesLinda

GuemesLinda Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2012
    thanks for your thoughts! yes, both lines of fcbm are with feathered legs, so that is great advice to check the legs for feathers. I will watch as they grow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by