What variety(s) possible?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by YellowChicken, Apr 1, 2012.

1. YellowChicken

YellowChicken Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2012
    A few weeks ago I picked up a few birds from Orscheln's from Estes hatchery. They told me they were black Jersey Giants. They were black with stripes on the back and thru the eyes. Since then I have learned that JG chicks aren't marked like this. I checked on a genetics site and they indicated that these markings were due to the "wild type" genes, e+/e+. Anyone have any idea what variety(s) these could be?
    Thanks!

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    many chicks have that patteren...do you have pics you can post...i'm guessing they are standered chicks...what type of comb?

3. YellowChicken

Feb 16, 2012
    Well, that was aboiut 3.5 weeks ago so they no longer have the stripes. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Looking thru some of the varieties that have the e+/e+ it seems that Quail, Duckwing and Partridge types have the wild pattern. Coming from Estes, I'm sure they are some standard type. I did send them an email but haven't heard back.

4. Kagu

Kagu Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2012
    SILVER LACED WYANDOTTES, good layers, and good mothers

heres what theyll turn out as- [​IMG]

5. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    double laced SLW.... is what im thinking....?

6. Zach123

Zach123 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    Denver, Colorado
    I dunno about the SLW. The breast feathers (on the botton left pic) look more sliver spangled (white with a black dot on the tip) then they do silver laced. There is also no laceing on either the scapular,covert, or saddle feathers. Then again I have a month old light brahma that is (so far) black with white lacing (AKA bleed through or "mossing") so this could definately be a SLW. Hatchery chicks rarely conform to color pattern standards, they are breeding quantity, not quality.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  7. YellowChicken

Feb 16, 2012
    Thanks everyone. I do believe you nailed it, SLW. I just watched a video at Cackle of these chicks and they were very similar to the ones I have when they were chicks. Not really what I wanted, but I suppose its too late for an exchange? :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by