What vegetables do you plant for your girls?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Desirai, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Desirai

Desirai Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    I hear a lot of people make vegetable gardens solely for their birds, in their coop/run.

Do you have one? What do you have in yours? How do you get it to grow without them eating it first?

2. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    tomatoes, brocoli, cucumber. You have to sprout them indoors and then plant them for the chickens once they are big enough.

3. Henwillbehens@

[email protected] Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2011
    NC
    Mine like summer squash [​IMG]

4. Desirai

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    do they eat the fruits/vegetables of the plant or just the plant themselves? Should I wait for the plants to fruit before allowing them to have it?

5. MargaretAnneHK

MargaretAnneHK Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Kellogg,Minnesota
    Ours loved pumpkins and squash.

6. maggienchamp

maggienchamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2011
    I plant kale, spinach, lettuce, beets, and peas for my girls. I just go to this site - http://www.groworganic.com/ and order some of their organic seeds. The seem to do really well :) I just plant the seeds in seed starting trays & flats, then I keep them in a greenhouse on my porch. Within a couple of weeks, little seedlings start to pop up. Then I transfer the seedlings to bigger containers, once they're big enough, I plant them outside in my "chicken garden". It's fenced off from my girls, this gives the plants a chance to become established and actually produce veggies. Then, I give them access to all of the treats [​IMG]

I also plant multiple trays of this seed mix - http://www.groworganic.com/omega-3-chicken-forage-blend-irrigated.html
    This is a favorite! I just time it so I have a tray to replace the one they finish. It usually works out pretty well!

7. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    I plant collards just for the girls. I have them in a tray I got from lowe's for about $5 it is for mixing concrete but it is about 6" deep and 2x3. DH made me a field fence frame to go over it so they can pick at it through the fence but they can't get to the plants. Once I took off the frame they ate it down to a nub.

I also grow radishes mostly for them. I keep the radish but they love the top. With our heat sometimes I don't even get a radish but they still love the top.

You can't put anything in their pen without some protection. If they like it they'll kill it. I've see a set up that is really neat where the person put a 2' fence guard around the bottom and let summer or winter squash grow up on the top of chicken pen and then the fruit would just drop in the pen.

I also set mine up a 'salad bar' that is just an area of grass that has a chicken wire section that sits on a frame. That way my girls have a continuing supply of grass as it grows. They keep it mowed very short.

8. Desirai

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    kizanne: I know I saw a post somewhere on the forum about someone who did that! they made a little protective framed area with wire and the grass grows through it for the chicks to eat off but they never get to the roots to actually kill the grass.

9. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

I have a yard that was very lush with grass and dandelions. It took a year and a half, but they completely wiped half of it out. I decided to fence part of it off, to let the grass recuperate. I was going to replant grass until I started doing some research on what chickens liked and what was healthy for them. I came across a site that sells a combo of clover, chickory and some other plants (can't remember the site). It is meant to attract deer, but had beneficial plants for chickens too. Chickens benefit more from broadleaf plants than they do grass. However, they do love the little goodies that hide in the grass. I'll post the site, if I can find it. [​IMG]

eta: I forgot to mention that the way I have my yard sectioned off, I can rotate the fencing, as to give a certain area a break, when needed.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by