What veggies DON'T chickens eat?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Bella54330, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Bella54330

Bella54330 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    I am a soon to be 1st time backyard chicken owner, and will be (hopefully) able to adopt fully grown egg laying chickens mid-spring here in Chicago. I am planning to start with only 2 hens. I have heard that chickens are very good for your garden, that they keep pests away, and the manure is great for the soil. I was planning to allow the chickens into my small fenced in garden as their "out time" for the first little while that they're here until they become accustomed to their new home. I have recently read that they're tear my garden apart if they're able to get anywhere close to it though.

A) is this true? Even if they're in my backyard, and not in the garden, I have many veggie plants and herbs throughout the yard and don't want them damaged.

B) what won't they eat? Perhaps I can try and curb their appetite for my veggies if I can surround it with other things they dislike?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Bella

2. coolcanoechic

coolcanoechic Chillin' With My Peeps

They don't like to eat herbs......However, they will dig to China around them. Mine didn't care for green beans either, come to think of it. They will dig anywhere they can if you let them. Believe me when I tell you, you will be constantly putting the dirt back into your garden.
    You may want to put netted fencing around the things you want to keep.

1 person likes this.
  3. coolcanoechic

Oh! I just noticed this is your first post. [​IMG]
    Welcome! You will love it here!

1 person likes this.
  4. Bella54330

Nov 4, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Hmmm... I'm now wondering if I allow them out of their run for a couple hours a day and into my backyard, do you think they'll ruin my yard? Not for nothing, but I have a pretty nice lawn, and I would hate to see my chickens ruin it! I suppose I just didn't think about that. I would imagine there's plenty of room for just 2 chicken. I have 1 1/2 Chicago lots for them to roam on, but not if they're going to tear it to shreds! Any input on that?

5. Bella54330

Nov 4, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks! I'm pretty addicted to this site already!

6. Kjordanov

Kjordanov Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2012
    NW
    I have 5 chickens and they don't tear up our grass! :D

1 person likes this.
  7. justhatchin

justhatchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Galva, Kansas
    HI! Welcome to BYC lots of great info all through the site, I think I spent the first year just reading and reading.

[​IMG]

I know I have even put plants in pots and they just jump right up and scratch away. Could not get it one year why I could see tomatoe blooms but never any tomatoes, Little snitchers. Fencing the garden worked and then when it is done they can have fun and help till it up for next year. susan

1 person likes this.
  8. coolcanoechic

The impact won't be as bad with only two chickens. If you can keep an eye on them while they are out, it is easy enough to just herd them into the areas you don't mind much damage. These were my first two chickens I ever had and this is what they did to my herb bed.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by