What vitamins to give a baby chick.

LittleBird123

Songster
Nov 12, 2016
USA, Michigan
My baby chick is only about five days old and cant stand. I have been giving her electrolyte water to boost her energy. She seems a bit weak, does anyone know any good vitamins to help strengthen her and her legs, and where to get them?

She likely has a problem with her legs. What is she doing with them? Are they splayed out to the sides? Are they bent underneath her and she can't bend them?

Her legs were a little splayed so i put a brace made of vet wrap on them. But when she tries to stand she lifts only her back half and cant seem to lift her front. She is doing better than she was a few days ago, but she still cant stand. She also wont eat or drink on her own so i have to do that by hand.

Here is a pic of her when she tries to stand...

That is very odd. Can she do any better with the brace off?If it's been on for a few days the splayed leg should be corrected.

Also, Poultry NutriDrench would be a great thing to give her - that stuff is awesome and works wonders for any bird I give it to.

I put a brace on her last night but it fell of during the night. The brace in the picture is a better one that i just put on this mourning at around 7:30 am, how long should i leave the brace on for? also where can i get the NutriDrench?

NutriDrench can be bought at Tractor Supply, if you have one near you, or Amazon sells it.

I hope you caught it soon enough and the brace helps :fl Sometimes if you don't do the brace within the first couple days of their life the bones in the legs harden and it's too late to fix :( A couple days on should hopefully fix it.

Last edited:
She already seems to be doing a bit better with it on, but she still cant stand. Maybe she just needs a few more days. I will try to find the NutriDrench, do you know if it has vitamin b in it? I have heard that it is very good at helping leg problems. Also, how much of it would i mix with about a cup of water, or are their directions on the container?

Oh nuts, caps lock gives me fits sometimes. I am not shouting, just accidently hit the caps lock.

give the chick one drop only by mouth. REPEAT EVERY -10 HOURS AS NEEDED UNTIL PERKY. pUT IT IN HER WATER FOR THE 1ST 2 WEEKS. MAKE THE WATER LOOK LIKE VERY WEAK TEA. bUY THE SMALLEST BOTTLE AT THE STORE. IF THEY DON'T HAVE THE POULTRY NUTRI-DRENCH, YOU CAN USE THE gOAT Nurti-drench. JUST USE THE POULTRY INSTRUCTIONS ABOVE. iT IS VERY CONCENTRATED AND DOES NOT NEED TO BE DIGESTED. iT MAINLINES DIRECTLY INTO TH BLOODSTREAM. HERE'S THE WEBSITE WHERE YOU CAN READ MORE AND SEE THE INGREDIENTS LIST. http://www.nutridrench.com
I have used it on my dogs and poultry for over a decade with marvelous results.
Best,
Karen in western PA, USA

Last edited:
Get a tea cup and put some soft material or paper towel in it. Place the chick in the tea cup in the brooder where it will be warm but not too warm. Position the chick so it is sitting upright. Then give it the Drench. I have read of other owners doing this and it helped as the bird couldn't fall over and was in a "normal" position.
Best,
Karen

Back
Top Bottom