What was I thinking? Knitting???? Me?????

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by WriterofWords, Jan 2, 2009.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Ok,, so a couple of months ago I started thinking I learned to do basic knitting from my mom, (who can knit a cashmere coat out of a cat's tail), when I was a pre-teen. I kept thinking geeeee I could do that again for relaxation! Then I put it off,, but kept seeing all these posts on here for knitting and crochetting etc,, so yesterday I went to Wal Mart, bought a pair of needles and some yarn and came home all ready to start. Only to discover I didn't remember how to get it on the darn needles! So I set it on the sofa and came online to find instructions, found some and went back to the sofa which still had my needles but no yarn in sight! I did however find the trailing end of the pretty green fuzzy yarn so I followed it around the house for awhile rolling it up as I went, until I found the remains of the ball which were wrapped around a cute fuzzy baby kitty with big blue eyes that was just so excited with it's new toy! I unwrapped baby kitty got the yarn in a nice neat ball, put 30 stitches on the needles and then stared at it as I realized I really didn't know how to start anymore. So I set it down on the table this time and back online go for instructions. I hear a suspicious rattling but don't think much about it as I peruse the complicated instructions and visuals which the government would be proud of and could use for a new code! Trust me, knit the secrets, they'll never be found out!
    I go back to pick up my needles and fake my way through it, sigh, they were on the floor, no sign of the yarn,, repeat the tracing and rolling, put it back on the needles,, struggle for 2 hours, put it down and think about becoming an alcoholic, oh darn, I'm allergic to alcohol there goes that idea.
    As I'm throwing the ball of yarn at the cat screaming "Take it!! Take it!! Take the darn crap, play with it, eat it, shred it, I don't give a flying rat's ass!!!" My mother walks through the door. She picks up the pretty green roll of fluffy kitty toy and says what pretty yarn what are you making? I said I already made it, it's a cat toy!
    I come in the office,, read BYC for awhile, go back in the living room and there she sites with the pretty, fluffy, green yarn and my needles and about 18 inches of neck scarf done.
    I went outside to sit in the dark and stare at my chickens.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    And the moral of the story is... [​IMG]

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have two words for you: Knifty Knitter.

4. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Kate have a word with Jena...she is the ultimate hand knitter and sells her goods.......

5. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Aren't all species of pets helpful with all fiber hobbies??? [​IMG]

I used to keep my little knitting booklet open to the page with whatever stitch I was doing, in the beginning. I've done some crochet items, including lace doilies and cat beds. I still have to look up the stitches before I start a project, if it's been a couple of years since I did any crocheting. Otherwise, I just don't remember which stitches have to have how many loops pulled through. I don't know why it's so hard for me to remember that!!!

You could just knit in front of the monitor, if you're using a web site. Of course, that would only be if your feline is willing to give up that yarn. Or maybe you might need a different hobby. I wonder if there's much call for pet wrangling???

6. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Knitting a cashmere coat out of a cat's tail? That's the funniest thing I've read all morning. [​IMG] [​IMG]

I totally feel your pain. I have "joined" the BYC crochet thread and peer pressure has finally gotten too much. I went out and bought a set of crochet hooks, yarn and a how-to book. What a joke. After sitting for what seems like hours of YouTube instructions and pouring over the "how to" book, I'm still not able to make it to the next row. [​IMG]

DH actually LAUGHED OUT LOUD at me trying to balance the stinkin' book in my lap and hold the hook and yarn at the same time. [​IMG] I am determined to learn, so I will continue to plug along and will hopefully find someone who knows and beg them to show me in person.

7. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Quote:Let your mother do it...

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Let your mother do it...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Mom offered to help me get "reaquainted" with the joys of knitting, I'm wondering if I have a romanticized false view of it from my past. Was it really fun? Did I really learn how or did I dream it??????? Knifty Knitter,,, I've heard of it, but never seen it. I think my sister-in-law has one, she made everyone knit caps for Christmas except me. I'm the one who is outside all the time and I got a candle.

10. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    I tried to learn to knit. I really did! [​IMG] It drove me crazy! Stepfather was supposed to teach me when he visits next, but it'll be right after the baby is born and do you REALLY think I'll feel like it then? DOUBTFUL! [​IMG]

I knew how to crochet long ago, but just a straight stitch (well, they were supposed to be straight, anyway! [​IMG] ). I don't have the time, patience or brain to figure out patterns, designs, etc. DER! That's how I feel when looking at stuff like that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by