What Was I Thinking?? - Newspaper vs. Shavings

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by harldane, Apr 12, 2008.

1. harldane

harldane Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2008
    Sunny So. California
    A couple of days ago, we moved our 3 three week old chicks from an aquarium into a medium size wire dog crate as they were way too cramped.

Well, wouldn't you know it, we'd also used the last of our of shavings for the aquarium (and of course the feed store was closed) so I decided - after doing a search on the forum - that shredded newspaper would work and HEY! it was FREE! right? So I shredded newspapers like crazy and put it into the crate and the chicks were okay - not *crazy* about it, but okay.

Well, we went to the feed store today and I bought a new giant bag of savings - hubby just rolled his eyes when I finally decided to get that size - but I figured it would last a while at least.

So out went the shredded newspaper and in went the shavings....and you've never seen a happier threesome! They scratched, they pecked, they fluffed, they rolled...then rolled some more! I actually did a forum search again to make sure that they weren't hurt as they'd lie on their sides stretched out and still, then they'd dust for a sec, and stretch out on their sides again!

So, in the end, I've learned my lesson and Daisy, Alice, and Yum Yum will only have shavings - not newspaper. They might not speak, but I heard them loud and clear.

Now, if I could just figure out how to keep the shavings INSIDE the crate instead of around it. I guess the death of a Costco produce box is next on the to-do list for tomorrow. [​IMG]

2. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Ya gotta give them what they love!!!!!

I'm learning that and i've only had my seven little girls less than 12 hours. Haha!!!![​IMG]

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sounds good. I find newspaper only good for linining cages to put shavings on top of. :p

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    LOL they speak loud and clear don't they? Try putting a piece of cardboard a few inches high in the front of the crate...it will not stop their air flow but will help keep the shavings inside. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by