What was it!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cmom, Dec 2, 2008.

1. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I just went out to collect eggs and one of my big girls was dead next to the fence in their range area. She was fine earlier. Something killed her and had eaten her in her belly. I just burried her. I wished I had taken a picture. I didn't see any tracks. I saw a crow out there earlier. I just put them in their run and locked the gate. I just set up the critter cam. It is zero lux but I put a light out too.

I lost another girl last night time for the critter cam again!!!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  2. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hawk maybe?

3. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Sorry you lost your girl. I HATE it when that happens!!! [​IMG]

4. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    possum's will eat out the inside first.

5. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Wasn't a hawk... they leave a big pile of feathers but no meat or flesh.

What time was it (night or day?).

I'd go with the possum or other night critter like raccoon. Could also be a fox, sometimes they leave half the carcass to come back and eat later. But google "predator signs carcass" or something like that.

My guess is they'll come back again, so it would be best to take security measures asap.

Scroll down to the end at this link: http://icwdm.org/Inspection/livestock.asp

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  6. SharonX

SharonX Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Quote:Yes or a coon as that is what killed my baby Brahma (saw the coon in the tree eating it) last month and then tonight my big girl was eaten from the belly/breast and just the feathered back was left. Usually a coon or possum.

I am so sorry you lost her.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    The critter came back up and dug up my bird that I had burried 2ft deep. There were tracks. It was either a cayote, fox or dog. What ever it was if it comes back it will be dead. SSS. I have a camera set up out there now and a VCR. I am recordoing I am using my dead girl as bait and I put traps out. My gun is loaded.

8. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    Well I am still thinking possom. A dog or dog like animal has a great sense of smell and they could just be a second party to the crime. Kind of like a after the fact criminal. I still wouldn't want it hanging around digging up bodies.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Well after one of my birds was killed I put out traps,I have gotten several skunks mainly. Today I got a big possum in one. It is now history. I don't know if it was the possum or not but something has tried to dig under one of my coops also. I didn't set up the critter cam tonight but will tomarrow. I have never had any problems except for the past couple of weeks. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. chickencarsten

chickencarsten Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2008
    ipswich massachusetts
    the same thing happened to me except all 12 of my chickens died . you said the insides were eaten. that what happened to me . i think a weasle or a fishercat might of got them.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by