What was my ameraucana hen doing to the ameraucana rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by elizabet253, Feb 1, 2015.

1. elizabet253

elizabet253 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2014
    This is something I have never seen before, but my rooster was sunbathing next to me (he likes and trusts me while the female amercauanas hate me for whatever reason), one of them came up to my rooster, and started pulling the feathers on his face. At first I pushed her away thinking she was being mean, but i figured if he didn't like it, he would let her know. She she continued to pull the feathers on his face, and I'm just wondering what it means. Was she cleaning him because she knows he can't reach himself there? I've never seen him do this to her. And I've never seen this with any of my other chickens.

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Just a guess, but could there have been traces of food on his face. My pigeons do something similar , but it is a courting gesture.
    [​IMG]

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Was she tugging on them, or pulling them out? I had one EE gal who was a notorious feather picker. She pulled all of the beards and muffs off of her EE siblings, then she started in on the other 2 gals. I had to get rid of her.

4. elizabet253

elizabet253 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2014
    She was was like, like when you run your fingers through a feather, that's what she was doing with her beak. It didn't look like it bothered him

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    She was grooming him... showing her affection.

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    My Silkies, also bearded, do this a lot. They all groom each other, I think its cute [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by