What was once a hen, may be a rooster

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LD Jackson, Jul 15, 2011.

1. LD Jackson

LD Jackson Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Roland, OK
    Well, this may just go to show how much I really don't know about this stuff. I purchased three Buff Orpington pullets (I thought) from okiehen and I was fairly well decided that all three were indeed pullets. However, I am beginning to have a great deal of suspicion that all may not be as it seems. [​IMG] I want to post a few pictures and let you folks see what you think. The Buffs were born around May 1.

Incidentally, I want to show you a couple of Black Australorps and see what you think. I sold a few last week that were obviously roosters, very big combs and wattles and some suspicious behavior. I thought I had all of them gone, but see what you think about these two. All of the BAs were born around May 1 as well and the ones I sold had significantly larger combs and behaved quite differently.

First, the Buffs. You can see one of the other Buffs in the background.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now the BAs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    The Buff in the foreground does look to be a roo. The BA I also agree is a roo. The BO in the background looks like a pullet.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:I agree. The BA has some really nice saddle feathers coming in.

4. TroutsChicks

TroutsChicks Fluffy Stuffins

Jun 5, 2011
    baxter Tn
    I see 2 ba roos in that one pic ( ones just a backside )! send one to me! lol

5. LD Jackson

May 1, 2011
    Roland, OK
    I wish I could find room to disagree with you folks, but I am afraid I can't. Well, I now have to find new homes for at least three more roosters. This is the pits.

Hey, TroutsChicks. Where do you live?

6. TroutsChicks

Jun 5, 2011
    baxter Tn
    baxter tn ( cookeville) its between nashville and knoxville

7. LD Jackson

May 1, 2011
    Roland, OK
    Quote:Well, I guess you could drive on up to eastern Oklahoma and take one of these Black Australorp roosters back home with you. [​IMG]

8. TroutsChicks

Jun 5, 2011
    baxter Tn
    wouldn't that be down? lol shoot for that drive I would need a few more to keep them company!! i would have never thought buying 16 chickens I wouldn't get a single roo!! how unlucky am i?

9. LD Jackson

May 1, 2011
    Roland, OK
    Quote:Yeah, 9-10 hours would be quite a drive for one chicken, rooster or hen. Wish you were closer.

10. Britney

Britney Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    Those tail feathers are a dead giveaway everytime.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by