What was Teresa Jr. doing ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by meowteri2, Mar 7, 2012.

1. meowteri2

meowteri2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    chicago sw suburbs
    I have a BO---Buffy and a BR---Teresa Jr. in a growing pen in the garage. It is 4ft x 3ft and has a nest box and a roost box added on to it. The BO has been broody for about 2 weeks now. I let them out and run around in the grass about a hour each day. I have 5 adults in the big coop in back of the garage. I will be getting rid of 2 isa browns that are 3 years old and move the BO and BR to the big coop. Then I will get more chicks for the growing pen.

I heard a thumping sound in the growing pen . I go look and Teresa Jr. is trying to push her way under Buffy. Just like a baby chick would to get under her mother. Do you think Teresa Jr. was acting like a baby or was she saying get up Buffy and run around with me ? They are about 9 months old. Buffy sits there all day with her feathers puffed up until I take her outside to run around.
    Has anyone seen anything like this before?

2. meowteri2

meowteri2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    chicago sw suburbs
    Anyone have any thoughts about this ?

3. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Probably Theresa was cold and wanted to snuggle. Chickens who were raised together often snuggle up as well, because thats what they did as chicks. No worries!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by