What was this? Infection, tumor? Gross Picture

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Morgaine, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Morgaine

Morgaine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    We processed 26 Cx's yesterday. Today I was cutting them up into different parts (breasts, legs, thighs wings) and when I went to cut the breast off I ran into this. There was more on hte other breast as well. What was it? We did not keep this, just grossed me out too much.

[​IMG]

2. Komaki

Komaki Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    That is interesting. If it were on a human, I would say common fibrosis. But please dont hold me to that. I have 2 Dr friends I will show the photo to and see what they think.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  3. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    It certainly doesn't look normal.

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Myoma?

5. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Hi Morgaine,
    I might be wrong, but I think that's dead tissue caused by impaction of the breast muscle against the sternum (breastbone).
    It happens sometimes with large cornish x if they too much wing-flapping exercise. Their breast muscle bulk is so huge the muscle closest to the breastbone can compress and die off. It can be a big problem if they're kept slightly older than recommended dispatch time.
    Nasty looking, but I've kept carcases like this, making sure I remove any discolored flesh.
    I may be wrong but that's what it looks like to me.
    cheers
    Erica

6. Doctim

Doctim Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2010
    North of Dallas, Texas
    Quote:Compress and die, rip and die, clot and die. These birds are too big for their own good. Tasty though!
    Tim

7. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Quote:Compress and die, rip and die, clot and die. These birds are too big for their own good. Tasty though!
    Tim

Indeed, I'm not a big fan of raising them, but I love to eat them. [​IMG]
    That is a good thought, I've heard of that happening...I suppose lack of circulation would be an issue too, with muscles that oversized.

8. swampcat

swampcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Brooklyn, CT
    I wonder if that is like when you cook a store bird and there's sometimes a piece of meat against the sternum that is black after cooking?

9. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Its called green tenders. It's a necrosis of the breast meat from poor blood circulation. I had one with it on my last batch, too and yes, you want to cut around it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by