What was this? Infection, tumor? Gross Picture

Morgaine

Songster
12 Years
Jan 22, 2008
Texas
We processed 26 Cx's yesterday. Today I was cutting them up into different parts (breasts, legs, thighs wings) and when I went to cut the breast off I ran into this. There was more on the other breast as well. What was it? We did not keep this, just grossed me out too much.

5920_303.jpg

We did not keep it and I didn't want to feed it to the dogs either.

It was hard to get a good picture, but what you are seeing is the breast as I was cutting it off the keel. That is the inside of the breast, from the outside there was no wound or anything, it all looked normal. The other breast also had it, along the keel but not as bad. And when I looked inside the cavity, I could not see anything wrong with it though. It also did not smell bad like an infection would.

If I had to guess it fell and brusied and damanged the tissue there? Fell as in off a step or from an area normal CX's wouldnt typically venture-someone accidently dropped it from a holding position right on its breast?

The only thing is this was on the inside of the meat. You could not see it untill I cut the breast from the bone.

Quote:
Exactly, think about it this way...When I tore my ACL and ripped my meniscus playing softball this Summer, You could not visibly see the damage ( just swelling) but from the inside I was bruised and damaged pretty bad from the contact point smashing into my bone-I bruised my bones tips and all surrounding tissues-but no external bruising...yes???

Last edited:
That is breast bruising. It happens. There is nothing wrong with the meat, but...it's green. It looks aesthetically displeasing and disgusting. I've had it show up on occasion, it is always along the keel, and it is always in CXs. I nearly freaked out the first time I saw it and discarded the bird, but since finding out what it was I just use the meat in stews where I can't see it.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom