What was wrong with my hen???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Darin115, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Darin115

Darin115 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    One of my white leghorn hens has a hernia looking thing coming out of her vent. She has a nasty drainage out of her vent as well. She acts normal and eats and drinks as usual. I turned them out to scratch around in the yard yesterday evening. She acts fine.

This happened to another WL hen a few months ago. I thought a egg busted inside her. She acted like she was suffering so I culled her.

I picked her up last night and could not feel a stuck egg. She is starting to smell bad.

What do you think is wrong with this hen?
    She has been a egg laying machine for months now. Are they prone to having these problems?

Darin

2. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Some sort of infection? [​IMG]
    Maybe some one on here will have an idea

3. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    I have heard about hens that can get "inverted" I guess is the term. I really can't give advice to aide. Um if she's smelling then something is brewing, infection or something. This may sound gross but I would take a look and see if she has any kind of worms ( maggots ) in that area. It's open so they may be drawn to the area.
    See if you can find a search on inverted vents or something like that.

She may be a loss at this point, but I wouldn't declare that till you know for sure what's going on.

So sorry.

4. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
  5. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Your hen has a prolapsed uterus that has become infected. You can site search the word "prolapse" and find reams of information.

6. Darin115

Darin115 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    Thanks for the info.

Darin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by