What was your budget/start up cost for raising ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ambrose, Apr 5, 2012.

1. ambrose

ambrose Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2012
    How much did you spend on brooder stuff?
    How much did you spend on building a house/run?
    How much did/do you spend on feed?
    How much did/do you spend on hay/shavings/etc.?
    Anything else I'm forgetting, ah yes,
    How much did you spend on ducklings? (OK, that's the only one I've got a good projected calculation on for myself)
    Curious also about incubator set ups, but probably won't go ther.

Did you at some point "break even" on ducks in terms of eggs, meat or breeding?

We need to do a good job on a run here given the local racoons, and I'm wondering just how much the run is going to run me!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009

3. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hope this helps. If you're creative and a scrounger it doesn't need to cost a lot.

4. Tivona

Tivona Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:

Don't worry about making everything perfect with the best materials when you start. Just be sure its safe and comfortable for them. Ducks really don't care if its stylish as long as its safe weather proof and big enough to run around in. Even if you do use scraps of lumber such as wood from pallets it can still be made better latter or cuter with plastic lattice (the wood lattice breaks to easy).

5. wildpeas

wildpeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    My husband likes to overbuild things, so we will be more than $600 by the time everything is done. I know it can all be done for half that cost but I like to keep him happy.

6. ambrose

ambrose Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2012

Hey, if that makes him happy, send him down here to Portland!

Mine's supportive of the idea (in fact he started it) but so not the handyman type.

But seriously, would love to see pics when it's finished. $600 or so was my back-of-the-napkin guestimation.

7. Tahai

Tahai Chillin' With My Peeps

How much did you spend on brooder stuff? About $60. I had a large tub on hand, so didn't need to buy a containment unit of any kind. 5 gallon waterer was the most expensive item, at $30.

How much did you spend on building a house/run? I'll probably spend $100 adding a water porch to the old hen house. The hen house is about 20 years old, so cost would be vastly different from when we built it to now. Probably spent $200 on it in the early 90's.

How much did/do you spend on feed? Just getting started, but from Metzer's feed calculator, it looks like I'll need about 100 lbs a month for 14 adult ducks. The feed I intend to use is $16/50 lb. Oyster shell is cheap here. Feed store buys it in bulk and portions it out. Brewer's yeast is $ 15 for a big container.

How much did/do you spend on hay/shavings/etc.? About $10

Anything else I'm forgetting, ah yes,
    How much did you spend on ducklings? (OK, that's the only one I've got a good projected calculation on for myself) About $80 for 14 ducks from Holderreads.

Don't forget fencing. I spent 200 on electric poultry net fencing from Kencove, and will spend about 75 on a fencer

Curious also about incubator set ups, but probably won't go ther.

Did you at some point "break even" on ducks in terms of eggs, meat or breeding?

We need to do a good job on a run here given the local racoons, and I'm wondering just how much the run is going to run me!

8. wildpeas

wildpeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    I am glad he is handy but it does drive me crazy sometimes. I'm all into nice but simple and he's into nice and honkin monster built. [​IMG]
    I'll post pictures when its done, hopefully soon.

9. Johnson5326

Johnson5326 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2012

10. Johnson5326

Johnson5326 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2012
    Oh, the back 1/2 of the roof is covered with tin that came from a barn we tore down and to the left of the picture I have a little ditch dug that runs to some cabbage, pumpkins, and beans. When I drain the pool everyday it runs there and they are looking great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by