What waste organs can chickens eat?

AChickenBoi

Songster
Oct 13, 2019
I’m thinking of raising meat rabbits, but I wouldn’t want any part of the body going to waste if I can help it. I also have pet chickens that are not picky when it comes to meaty foods. Can I throw the organs we normally wouldn’t eat to the flock? Would raw be fine, or would it be better if I cooked it first?

If rabbit organs are better off being used for something else or just in moderation, what else could I do with the waste? The bones/organs? I’ve heard that dog owners freeze dry the ears as dog treats. Would ground rabbit organs and other waste make a good cat food for the strays? (We have a lot of stray cats in the neighborhood, and I’d much rather prefer them eating harvested rabbit and not my flock of pet chickens). Any advice would be great! :)

Use the bones to make bone broth. I've never used rabbit bones, so if someone knows that they should NOT be used, please speak up.

Can I throw the organs we normally wouldn’t eat to the flock?
I would.

Would raw be fine, or would it be better if I cooked it first?
When my chickens catch mice, frogs, and small snakes they do not cook them before they eat them. When I catch rabbits in my garden or certain critters like raccoons, rats, or possums I cut them open so the chickens can get to the insides and let them have at it. I don't cook it first. I do remove what's left of the carcass before dark and dispose of it so it doesn't attract predators. When I butcher chickens I have one bucket for the stuff that I
I bury in my garden where the coyotes or dogs can't get to it to dig it up. I have a second bucket for the bits that I'll feed back to the surviving chickens. I don't cook that.

I see no reason that you'd need to cook them. They are eating those organs, not you.

If you cook the bones long enough, they get soft and then you could feed them to the flock as well.
When I make bone broth, I strain it through a colander. The bones I can mash with my fingers are "done." The ones I can't, go back into a bag to be saved for the next batch of bone broth.

The done bones and the mushy veg end up as chickie snack. They love that stuff! I have learned to parcel that out and not give them too much all at once. I've seen some loose poops the next day when they have a lot of it.

Back
Top Bottom